Newbie Needs Advice

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Greetings! I live in the Harrisburg area of Pennsylvania (central). I found my zone to be 6b. I have, I believe, is a 200-gallon preformed pond (pictured) that I just put in this summer. I'm loving it! I have four fantails and a frog just happen to also make a home here! My pump is submerge d to the very bottom. Although hose is exposed to the upper container where my waterfall is. I am getting contradicting advice from so many. Will my pond freeze solid? I was hoping to be able to let the fish go dormant over the winter and do what is necessary to keep them alive. Which brings me to my next question. I read all about pond breathers, floating heaters/deicers, air stones...not sure what would be recommended for my area.
200 gallon pond.jpg

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
How deep is the deepest part? I would suggest disconnecting the waterfall, (make sure line are drained) and running the pump in pond. If you don't have aeration I like a Venturi adapter (you can make yourself) to help keeping ice from forming, and in your area I'd also suggest the pond breather. I see a lot of combination of aeration and breathers talked about around the web.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
It doesn't look very deep, so if you don't keep the top of the water moving it will freeze. Then obviously the fish will perish. You may be able to get away with just aeration in your zone, but you might want to invest in a floating heater that is ok to use around plastic. (won't melt it if it comes in contact) I am much further north and with the mild winters we have been experiencing, I can get through almost the entire season with just a bubbler - but it is really powerful and moves much of the surface. I usually have to put my floating deicer in maybe once or twice. I don't want to be a shill, but Webbs Water Gardens has tons of pond items and really knowledgeable people. I have purchased many things from them - they ship quick and their prices are great. Look them up! Even if you don't buy anything, you can learn alot just browsing their website.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had the same one to start with and it was around 18 inch's deep but there as one that was 2 feet deep that had the same gallons but smaller around .Welcome to the sight and first thing is your pump should never be on the bottom because if something happens it could drain the pond .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
nope .I have fantails and they are only hardy to water temps of around 50 degrees .But mine stay around the pond heater come winter.Lowest temp. my water gets usually is around 40 degrees ,but they are also older ,the younger they are the less cold they can take

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have 4 fantails that have survived our winters in a 1000 gallon, no heater pond. I do use a pond breather to keep a hole open. The depth is 2.5 feet.
The fantails are in with shubunkins.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
But we have to remember they live in PA and it can get bitter cold there and wind chills will make it worse .I don't see how the hardiness zone could be the same as you addy .It gets really cold in PA .I have lived there and can remember the cold with the heavy snow storms and wind blown drifts of snow .The wind chill can really get to a humane so can imagine what it would do to a small pond like that .I know in PA at my parents house the footings had to be 48 inch's deep on my parents decks .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How deep is the deepest part? I would suggest disconnecting the waterfall, (make sure line are drained) and running the pump in pond. If you don't have aeration I like a Venturi adapter (you can make yourself) to help keeping ice from forming, and in your area I'd also suggest the pond breather. I see a lot of combination of aeration and breathers talked about around the web.
I believe the deepest part is 18". My husband's cousin who lives nearby has a pond similar to mine. He has a dozen fish in his. Just runs his pump under water over the winter. He says he loses a couple of fish each year (my opinion is that he has too much fish for such small space).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
But we have to remember they live in PA and it can get bitter cold there and wind chills will make it worse .I don't see how the hardiness zone could be the same as you addy .It gets really cold in PA .I have lived there and can remember the cold with the heavy snow storms and wind blown drifts of snow .The wind chill can really get to a humane so can imagine what it would do to a small pond like that .I know in PA at my parents house the footings had to be 48 inch's deep on my parents decks .
Yes, our winters can be harsh one year and mild the next! Ya never know! Two years ago the wind chill was so bad they actually cancelled school! That's why I'm struggling as to what I should do!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
With only 4 fish you might want to think about bring them inside for winter
Yeah, I was debating that. Really don't want to but I don't want them to die if the pond happens to freeze solid. If I run the pump so there is constant circulation, will that be good enough to not freeze completely?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thing is running the pump sometimes makes the water even get colder .If you can find a 100 watt pond heater and tie it to a bring so it stays into the center of the pond it may work .That is what I did to my preformed the first over 2 years until the front porch was done and 2 deaths in the family .We are not as cold as you but the 100 watt heater did work but it costs more than the bigger pond heaters and just as hard to find .
murphy pond pictures 001.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It sounds like I'm going through a lot of trouble for just four fish. I'm probably better off bringing them in for the winter. So with that being said, if I do buy a plastic container to keep them in, I would also bring in my pump and have the water circulation that they are used to? And then just continue feeding them twice a day? Our temp went to a low 46 degrees last night, but it's a beautiful 72 degrees now! Does that mean my fish have already started their dormant process? Should I bring them in soon so their transition isn't so drastic?

Ask a Question