Newbie Question(s)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Wait, so you cut open the outlet on the pump cord and splice it? I was just going to run the stock cord through the conduit to my outlet?
No, don't cut the plug off the pump. Install a new electrical outlet near the location of the pump and plug it in. Unless you're saying the pump cord will reach an existing electrical outlet. If so, my bad, I didn't realize you had an outlet so conveniently close.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I knew one of those pesky electrician types would chime in here... they're all about the "right way" to do things. haha!

Ha! We Electricians can't help it! Electricity is nothing to fool with! We don't want anyone to burn down their house or get electrocuted! I've seen so many botch jobs. You wouldn't believe what some people do. Like bury extension cords ha! But really, all kidding aside, you shouldn't be burying extension cords. One reason is how your patio guy cut through one. If that was conduit it wouldn't have happened. Believe me, I'm not trying to be derogatory, just trying to keep things safe.

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My electrician honey had me use a 100 ft extension cord, 12/3, for years before we ran lines. At least not buried.............

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
No, don't cut the plug off the pump. Install a new electrical outlet near the location of the pump and plug it in. Unless you're saying the pump cord will reach an existing electrical outlet. If so, my bad, I didn't realize you had an outlet so conveniently close.

Yes, the cord of my pump is 25' and my outlet on my house is within that range. Couldn't I just bury the power cord and run it through conduit to my house and then plug in in from there? Maybe run my pond light cords through the same conduit to house outlet? That was going to be my plan.. I called a few electricians. One quoted me 1500 to put an outlet out right next to my pond on a post. $1500!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yes, the cord of my pump is 25' and my outlet on my house is within that range. Couldn't I just bury the power cord and run it through conduit to my house and then plug in in from there? Maybe run my pond light cords through the same conduit to house outlet? That was going to be my plan.. I called a few electricians. One quoted me 1500 to put an outlet out right next to my pond on a post. $1500!!!
You can, if you want, just lay the wires on the surface of the ground. It's just not a good idea to bury them without a protective sleeve or conduit. If your concerned the exposed wires would be unsightly or a tripping hazard, then yes, your idea is a good one. Lay a large enough PVC electrical conduit to accommodate all your wires. Make sure the conduit is large enough to pull the plugs through. You can either bury the conduit or run it on the surface. If you leave the ends of the conduit open, it would be a good idea to use some sort of sealant to prevent water from filling the conduit. There's a stuff called duct seal that we use. It's sort of like clay and doesn't harden so you can still have access in case you need to pull your wires back out. Everything you need can be bought at a hardware store or big box stores such as Lowe's or Home Depot. It won't cost much.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. You guys have a great project going...way to go! I don't like using extension cords either. Nothing good can happen with their use. On another post you mentioned it would cost $1500 dollars (yikes) to run a dedicated line to your pond. Perhaps advertise locally for a certified electrician to install the power to your pond. When I was doing a project like this I found a retired, certified electrician to do the installation for me at a greatly reduced expense. He was amazing and brought the power to our pond exactly where my wife wanted it. :) By the way Craig, you are a lucky man to have a wife so interested and willing to take on this project like this. Mine is the same way. I declared her a saint years ago!
Stephen

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
Fantastic job! You guys must be exhausted!
As an electrician, I would comment on not burying an extension cord. That is not a good practice. Your original idea of using conduit is the way to go. PVC electrical conduit is cheap and easy to work with. You can buy all the fittings, elbows, boxes, etc and just use PVC glue to connect them. The wire will be the most expensive part. #12 gauge, black for hot, white for neutral and the very important green for ground. You can place boxes where you need them and run the conduit between them. Protect the circuit with a GFCI. Any questions....just ask... Enjoy!
Yup, what he said.

Ask a Question