A few newbie questions

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone, newbie here! I've had fresh and salt water tanks before but I recently moved into a house with an oblong, approximately 1200 gallon pond with a waterfall and I feel a little out of my league. The pond was well established for several years but had not had some love in a while. I recently drained it, scrubbed it and filled it back up. Added 4, 3-4" koi about 3 days after the dechlorinator ( API). Currently, the only filter is the mesh covering the pump. My first question is, what is the best way to go about adding extra filtration? I've gotten mixed opinions thus far but am open to anything. I was also wondering what the best, most cost effective vacuum is-I have the leaves under control but I do have quite a bit of silt in the bottom that I would like to clean up.

My next question is more of a logistical question. I have a rain water collection barrel that I would like to use for water changes but my pond is uphill and probably about 30-40 feet from the pond. Someone please tell me there is a pump I can get to run it through the hose...the idea of using a bucket and man power is less than appetizing...

I've attached a few pictures. It is typically in the shade except for a small area that gets morning sun.

Okay, I think that's it for now! Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_9924.JPG
    IMG_9924.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_9925.JPG
    IMG_9925.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 288
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
You might be able to put an external canister type or pressurized filter somewhere BUT with the layout and location of your pond a pre-filter might be your best option. I have a TetraPond submersible flat box pre-filter (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024EFYU6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) but it's recommended for up to 500 gallons so you would need more than one for your pond OR other people have used and recommend the EZ BIO Core pre-filter by Matala (https://www.amazon.com/BIO-Core-Pum...pID=51tBnXNJnoL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch). How many gallons per hour does your pump circulate? That will also factor into your filtration options because most filters have a maximum flow that is recommended for them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm a little embarrassed but I don't actually know the flow rate of my pump but I will check tomorrow. Just curious, how does the layout and location factor in to the type of filter?

The height differential is about 6-7 feet. The rain barrel is raised about 2.5 feet.

Thanks for the input, it's much appreciated!

Ask a Question