Newbie question about goldfish spawning???

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a 3000 gallon pond with 4 larger goldfish and a bunch of smaller goldfish. Today I pulled the cover off the leaf basket in front of one of the pumps and found a whole bunch of little squirming creatures. They are about 1/4" long, all black. Are these likely to be newly hatched goldfish?

If so, how do I protect them so that at last some reach adult size? If I keep the pump running, they are going to end up in the filter and die. Do I have to take them out and into a separate aquarium sort of thing? Is there any way that they can survive in the main pond? For the moment I have shut down the pump.

Thanks for any help,
Bob Chapman

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It's possible that they are mosquito larvae. Can't take a picture, bcause they are now dispersed in pond and essentially invisible.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Typically new born goldfish are the size of an eyelash. This sounds more like an insect. I have found baby dragonflies in my pump so it could be almost anything.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
also had similar critters in a section of my waterfall, pretty sure they were larvae
dumped them in the pond the fish took to them like Doritos :p

Ask a Question