NEWBIE TO THIS SITE AND NEED ADVICE ON MY FISH

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all and thank you for all your help.
She has been like this for just over one month, and doesn't eat more than the others. I don't think it is dropsy as she is still swimming and eating normally. I have just noticed that some of her sacles are coming off and that a couple of other fish are starting to get fat? How do you treat egg bound?
If it was the one fish then I would say to add acriflavine to the rank
However with what you have just said in your last post then this may well be a tad worse than you thought DOD so hold fire a moment, if other fish are going the same way then it may be another form of dropsy
That certainly appears to be Dropsy.
Yes but dropsy doesnt normally sread to other fish unless its viral dropsy which I've never seen before and is rare, if this iis the case then this is a different ball game as I dont have an answer to it .

Dave

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
DOD please let us know how the fish is progressing and if this salt helps or if you have to find another remedy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
DOD I've PM'd Meyer Jordan to see if hes ever come across a case of what I suspect to be viral Dropsy , hopefuly he may have .
But in the mean time keep up with your treatment as normal bringing any more effected fish indoors for treatment .
However in the mean time please read this article about dropsy from My South African friend Peiter Odendaals koi wevsite and see if you can come up with any of the reasons for your fish starting to go the way of the first maybe then we'll be able to stop it :-

http://www.koi4u.co.za/index.php?op...&id=123:dropsy&catid=4:case-studies&Itemid=19

Sadly though in some cases you never win through with dropsy because as you can see it has many causes but we can at least try stop this
In the mean time we need to know everything you have done with the pond its filtration and maintenance routines water changes, pre winter clean of filters and pond your water perameters etc ?
This is in an effort to get to the bottom of this before you loose any fish we need to have a fishes eye view of your pond .
Do you get all your fish from the same fish dealership/aquatic shop do you Quarentine your fish for two months prior to them going into your pond ?.
How much you feed i;e as much as they can at in five minutes how many times a day etc?
How often are your water changes ?
Anything you can possibly think of even though it may seem to you as stupid and not important ?

Dave

Last edited:

DOD

Reaction score
It is very sad but the fish died this morning.

Hi Dave
DOD I've PM'd Meyer Jordan to see if hes ever come across a case of what I suspect to be viral Dropsy , hopefuly he may have .
But in the mean time keep up with your treatment as normal bringing any more effected fish indoors for treatment .
However in the mean time please read this article about dropsy from My South African friend Peiter Odendaals koi wevsite and see if you can come up with any of the reasons for your fish starting to go the way of the first maybe then we'll be able to stop it :-

http://www.koi4u.co.za/index.php?op...&id=123:dropsy&catid=4:case-studies&Itemid=19

Sadly though in some cases you never win through with dropsy because as you can see it has many causes but we can at least try stop this
In the mean time we need to know everything you have done with the pond its filtration and maintenance routines water changes, pre winter clean of filters and pond your water perameters etc ?
This is in an effort to get to the bottom of this before you loose any fish we need to have a fishes eye view of your pond .
Do you get all your fish from the same fish dealership/aquatic shop do you Quarentine your fish for two months prior to them going into your pond ?.
How much you feed i;e as much as they can at in five minutes how many times a day etc?
How often are your water changes ?
Anything you can possibly think of even though it may seem to you as stupid and not important ?

Dave
Hi Dave
It is very sad but the fish died this morning.

WE moved into this house a year ago and the pond and fish were already there, but only small.
we only feed them every 2 or 3 day in winter and every day in Summer, they have gotten bigger but not over weight.
The filter is cleaned every 2 weeks, and I try and clean the pond from leaves every month or so.
The pond gets a run of from the rain and we top it up when necessary.
We were getting our food from the supermarket, but the gentleman at the Aquarium center told us that they normally put fillers in their food which is not good for the fish, so we have bought some food from him, but we are waiting for a couple of days be fore we feed them as I have been giving them some cooked peas, Hope this is going to fhelp them.
I am trying to catch the other effected fish as I was told it was not dropsy but bloating, so we are attempting to put the other affected fish in a solution of Epson salts. They are not easy to catch though.

Hope this information helps and any more advise is very much appreciated as I really do not want to loose anymore, I am really attached to them and even named them.

cheers
Denise

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wait!!! I hope you don't live somewhere that gets cold in winter cuz we stop feeding our fish when temps go below 55F. Otherwise if you feed them their digestive systems are not working and the food can rot in their innards. If you live where it is always above 55F then disregard but if not stop feeding till Spring when temps rise above 55F consistently.
Sorry about losing the fish. It is sad :(

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Dropsy is characterized by edema. Edema IS bloating.
When was the last time this pond was cleaned? How thick is the sediment accumulation on the bottom? What is the capacity of this pond (in gallons or liters)? How many fish are in this pond? What size pump is being used (gph or lph)?
This is obviously a Water Quality issue.

DOD

Reaction score
Wait!!! I hope you don't live somewhere that gets cold in winter cuz we stop feeding our fish when temps go below 55F. Otherwise if you feed them their digestive systems are not working and the food can rot in their innards. If you live where it is always above 55F then disregard but if not stop feeding till Spring when temps rise above 55F consistently.
Sorry about losing the fish. It is sad :(

GOOD NEWS ALL - FISH IS STILL ALIVE WAS JUST FLOATING UPSIDE DOWN. SO STILL TREATING WITH THE EPSOM SALTS DAILY AND TRYING TO GET HER TO EAT THE PEAS

We live in Australia _ NSW so it does get cold but not down to 10deg all the time, and we were advised to feed every third day in winter and then every 2day when it starts to warm up until summer time.

DOD

Reaction score
When was the last time this pond was cleaned? How thick is the sediment accumulation on the bottom? What is the capacity of this pond (in gallons or liters)? How many fish are in this pond? What size pump is being used (gph or lph)?

JUst had the water tested today and the guy said it was good!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
How cold does it get there in the winter.............are you saying it can get down to 10 degrees Fahrenheit or Celsius? If you get down to below 12 Celsius ever then you should not be feeding the fish till it warms up.

Fish Feeding Dos & Don'ts
There are two main aspects to properly feeding your fish. These are feeding the right foods and feeding in the right amounts. Each time you feed your fish, whether its three times a day or three times a week, you need to make sure you feed only what they can eat in 5 minutes. A little experimenting can teach you how much to feed. If, five minutes after feeding, there is still uneaten food you know to not feed that much next time.

Determining what and how often to feed your fish depends primarily on water temperature. In warmer water (60-85 degrees) the metabolism of the fish is high and they can be fed 2-4 times per day. At this time you should be feeding a food with a high protein level. If the water rises to 90 degrees or above you should stop feeding. In spring and fall when your water temperatures fall to 50-60 degrees, you should reduce feeding to once every 1-2 days and feed a low protein food. When the temperatures drop to below 50 degrees stop feeding the fish. On warm days the fish may become active and "beg" for food. Don't be fooled. Stay strong and do not feed. If the fish do need a little food, they will find enough growing in the pond. The algae that coats the pond liner is all they need. These cold temperatures slow the metabolism of your fish and food will not be properly digested. It can take 3-4 days for the fish to digest the food. It's not worth the fish's life to give it food.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I agree with Meyer on this DOD we have to get to the bottom of this and why it has happened, personally I would never take my water to be tested to any aquatic outlet.
I've acctually been aproached by a friend of mine after a new koi died to test his water, this was after he had been to the shop to complain and taken a sample to the shop he bought the koi.
They tested his water and blamed him on the death of his koi, stating water quality issues that had brought about the koi's death. But when the same person asked me to do his perameters it turned out there was nothing wrong with his water .
They at the aquatic shop were acctually at fault, he went back to complain and the banned him from the shop"thankfully its in better hands nowadays".
We need to know the following readings Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and Ph the shop should be happy to give you those results if not then find another outlet, howeveryour best bet is to purchase an API pond test kit and do your own readings , dont buy any test strips as they arent accurate always buy liquid test kits .
If it isnt water quality issues involved then its more than likely to be dropsy.
However in saying this Fish sometimes get a tad bunged up( constipated), peas and chopped earth worms normally put paid to that and clear them out .
May I ask exactly what feed your giving them , you should only feed as much as the can consume in 5 minutes any left overs should be removed from the pond otherwise it will sink and rot creating even more problems for you .
Regular maintenance of the pond and your filters are a must,especially prior to going into winter (however I believe your winter is our summer and vica versa)
The bottom of the pond should be kept as clear as you can of detritus and debris, we have a bottom drain that takes our fishes waste away to various filters before it enters the pond again the first filter is what is termed a vortex, any large bits of detritus drops it to the bottom , with smaller bits being taken away in the next filter and so on till we have clean and polished water coming out of the last filter then through a pump and UV-C before entering the pond but ours is a koi pond and its set up for them.
The point is everything is cleaned on a regular basis giving our koi the best possible living conditions, the water is tested on a regular basis to check everything is well with the water perameters etc .
Until we have those perameters theres not alott we can do to help , we could even make things worse and non of us wish to do that .
Diagnoses online is hard and even though Val and I have a good track record of turning fish its down to the fishes owner to help in everyway they can by implementing what is being said .
Life would be perfect if you lived next door we'd just pop round but we cant .
The fish floating upside down isnt good news , sadly for the fish its bad, it means that the swimbladder has been effected most probably by the pressure of the fluids building up inside.
I think Meyer will agree that Euthanizing your fish may well now be the best and only option left open to you .
To go about eithaizing a fish buy a bottle of oil of cloves add 10ml to a bucket of pond water and place the fish in the bucket the fish will after a while drift off to sleep and pass away, if this dosent happen add another 5ml and it should.

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
GOOD NEWS ALL - FISH IS STILL ALIVE WAS JUST FLOATING UPSIDE DOWN. SO STILL TREATING WITH THE EPSOM SALTS DAILY AND TRYING TO GET HER TO EAT THE PEAS

We live in Australia _ NSW so it does get cold but not down to 10deg all the time, and we were advised to feed every third day in winter and then every 2day when it starts to warm up until summer time.
DOD I noted you say you feed your fish through the winter and were advised to feed your fish every third day and every second day when it warms up .
This may well be the smoking gun we were looking for , non of us feed our koi in the winter even if the temperature tops 10c , feeding bellow can cause major problems to your fish.
There isnt as much in the way of helpful bacteria during the winter they only start to multiply again in late spring early summer :-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/prepping-your-pond-for-the-winter.12870/

I hope this may be the end of your problems , it seems to me that the aquatic shop owner is giving you bad advice .
Do you have any books on fish health ?
May I suggest you buy this book which is the first ever fish health book that Val bought me I have two copies the original by salmander is now dog eared and covered in sticky plastiic to hold it together and is like a fish health bible to us we still use it rom time to time but have invested in many more fish and koi health books in the last 27 years of our hobby :-

The Manual of Fish Health ISBN 0861013869. Dr Chris Andrews, Adrian Exell, Dr Neville Carrington.

Another good in depth book on Fancy Goldfish is :-

Fancy Goldfish "A complete Guide to Care and Collecting ISBN 1859749577 .Dr Erik L Johnson DVM , Richard E Hess with Photographs by Fred Rozenzwieg

Dr Erik L Johnson is one of the top Authors we koi keepers look out for as he gives us an in depth look into koi health issues from begginers to advanced koi keepers .
You can get both online from Amazon books they are nicely priced buy them and read them , we garentee you'll understand one hell of alott more about the hobby by the end of it .

Dave

Last edited:

Ask a Question