Newbie with 170~ gallon pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
How much sun does the pond receive? That’s what will limit your choice of plants.

Not much sun as it is. It’s very shaded almost the entire day. I may prune the trees to allow in more light, if I can without pruning too much. I really like those trees and that’s really what makes that space special.

I got this old iron and wooden bench from my grandmother the other day, after I get that cleaned up and repainted, I’ll set that near the pond. I’m thinking about putting in a couple lanterns with lights in them as well, probably hang them from the trees. I’m hoping to make it a nice place I can sit and relax after work and read a book.

I got it filled up and we will see if it holds water. Something I worried about became reality, before I thought it seemed the whole pond was at a tilt and it is. You can see it very plainly in the picture once the water is added. I checked the depths again and it’s 7” at the deepest, 6” right in the middle, and a measly 4.75” at the other end. I’m hoping after I add a fountain it won’t be so noticeable. But, I am glad it’s not titled toward the back of the yard, the tilt makes the pond more noticeable from the house, driveway, and the front of the yard. So at least there is a small benefit.

I’m going to let it sit for a few days and if it holds water I will add a gravel substrate and get a fountain/filter.

Edit: my image failed to upload, I only have 4g data at home and sometimes uploading doesn’t work. When I get to my business later I’ll upload it again.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here’s the picture with Water.

Attachments

• FA8546CB-1E9A-4084-97F9-03F5DDA8809D.jpeg
    FA8546CB-1E9A-4084-97F9-03F5DDA8809D.jpeg
    233.6 KB · Views: 289

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Not anything against your pond, but after reading through your posts again, you know what I think you should do? Use this one as a small “wildlife pond,” and just go ahead and dig yourself a larger pond! It sounds like you have some ideas, and dreams.....but this little guy isn’t going to let you do what you want to do, and I honestly think you are always going to wish for MORE! You could put a little pump in it to circulate the water, but it doesn’t look like it gets enough sunlight to be much good for things like water lilies (unless you did go a little deeper). But that’s just MHO!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Not anything against your pond, but after reading through your posts again, you know what I think you should do? Use this one as a small “wildlife pond,” and just go ahead and dig yourself a larger pond! It sounds like you have some ideas, and dreams.....but this little guy isn’t going to let you do what you want to do, and I honestly think you are always going to wish for MORE! You could put a little pump in it to circulate the water, but it doesn’t look like it gets enough sunlight to be much good for things like water lilies (unless you did go a little deeper). But that’s just MHO!
I'd agree here. Put a small fountain in, some low growing plants that don't mind moving water. What you've got is not really a pond so much as a small water feature. It'll be enjoyable, though.

Reaction score
Country
United States

Thanks. I wish it was deeper. Originally I thought it was a filled in well so I was expecting it to be deeper. I may dig a new pond later, but not for now. JWs pond is quite beautiful and I may do something along those lines in the near future.

I'd agree here. Put a small fountain in, some low growing plants that don't mind moving water. What you've got is not really a pond so much as a small water feature. It'll be enjoyable, though.

What low growing planets would you recommend? Is it too shallow for a handful of small goldfish?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group Maybe some minnows, if it freezes up solid in the winter the goldfish might not make it. Minnows you could move in for the winter.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
looks similar to a fountain pond where they have a bird bath in the middle and water flows up and over the birdbath .Could this have been some type of butterfly garden .Reminds me of mine back in NJ

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
looks similar to a fountain pond where they have a bird bath in the middle and water flows up and over the birdbath .Could this have been some type of butterfly garden .Reminds me of mine back in NJ

I was thinking the same thing.

@Mattks can you fill out your profile with where you are? In terms of low growing plants, things I've had come back despite freezing solid are irises, water forget me not, and bog bean.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@sissy I haven’t seen anything like how you described the “butterfly garden,” but what an awesome idea! Do you have pictures of yours? I have 2 plastic-type birdbaths that I don’t use any more, but can’t bring myself to get rid of.

Ask a Question