Newbie with questions??

Reaction score
Hi all, first post and looking forward to chatting with forum members.
I'm early into construction of my plant pond (no fishies) and have several questions. My pond will be 11'x 9' rectangle from drystacked cinder blocks and a preformed drop-in liner. There are 2 homemade bio-falls (17" weir openings) located 30' from pond with a 3' stream linking the 2 features. I have a Evolution 7800 pump to feed the falls as well as take suction from my OASE skimmer.
Is it necessary to install a bottom drain in a pond along with the additional filtration equipment if the pond does not have fish?

Can I put floating Lillie's in the pond or will the skimmer draw them all to it's intake weir?

I don't plan on running the pond in the winter time as it is too cold so should I drain the pond of all it's water, or, leave some in the pond over winter? I am thinking frost heave and the effect it will have on my block walls without any water to counter the push from the frost inward??

I'm quite sure to ask many more questions but did not want to seem greedy for a first-time poster :wink:

Thanks for your input and look forward to chatting with all,

Best regards,
Ruger

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. You should have started in the Introductions thread. Then posted your questions here.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome_cat.gif
ruger

I don't have a skimmer but I do have water lilies in my pond but they are planted in pots and of course only the pads and blooms are floating and
since they are attached to the plant I wouldn't think they would float into your skimmer unless you place them too close
dog-18.gif

Reaction score
stroppy said:
i would leave the water in if i were you :0)

Thanks everyone for the welcome.

Along with the skimmer, I will have a 3" mid-level drain line feeding my pump. The pump is located 20' away from the pond in a pump vault. The pump inlet will be approx. 1' below pond water level. I have a 3" T on the inlet to the pump, one for the 3" mid-level drain and the other half of the T is reduced down to 2" for skimmer suction. Both lines have ball valves to adjust flow rates. Pump discharge feeds 2 bio-falls located 30' from pond (check-valve on discharge to prevent falls from dumping back when pump shut off).
If I leave the water in the pond during winter, how would I prevent the 3" line from the pond to the pump from freezing.

Thanks,
Ruger

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
i dont have skimmers or a bottom drain sadly, but i have heard most people drain the water from there skimmers and piping ... maybe someone else can jump in here and help you out . sorry im not more help

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Some with skimmers put in a ball, large plastic bottle, something that floats around and keeps the water from freezing. Some drain them. I have heard it works both ways.
I would leave the water in your pond.
One of my ponds is for plants and a few goldies, no drain, will just clean it off and on.
We put drain ports into our lines, we are leaving our water in the pond, but draining the waterfall lines.

The lilies like still water, keep them away from the skimmer and they will be happy. With them potted they won't be drawn into the skimmer.

Ask a Question