Reaction score
Country
United States
I’ve had this whiskey barrel fountain for a few years and just recently decided to add some plants. This pond gets hot afternoon sun as it’s on our south-facing deck. I just got this water lettuce two days ago and it looks horrible- laying flat and yellow. The greenhouse I bought it from had it in the afternoon sun also so I thought it would be OK. Is it a goner? Dead? I went and bought another one yesterday, just in case, and it even has a baby attached and it looks the same as when I put it in the water. Should I throw the yellowed one away?? Help!
45BCB1F1-0332-457B-B14B-3D1D24702F88.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
No fish? The plants need some food.
Thank you so much for replying so quickly! The plants need some food, what type of food? No one at either pond place told me this. I also would love to get some fish and I’m wanting to but I didn’t think this little area would be big enough… What type of fresh? Little minnows or guppies?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Where do you live? You can get plant tabs, some people, without fish, put in miracle grow, which might make algae grow.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pennsylvania. Do you think I can get away with adding fish in here? This barrel only measures 14” x 14” with water depth of 12”

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 11

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can add minnows guppies, but you will need to bring them in for the winter. I would guess the water freezes solid. The lily will not survive if the tuber freezes

Reaction score
Country
United States
That’s a yellow floating heart. Some leaves are curled- not sure why? I’d like to add whichever will stay the smallest. How many do you think can be added to this barrel?

Reaction score
Country
United States
The curled leaves are new ones developing and ratty ones are slowly dying.
Thank you so much for all the help you are offering! It’s hard to find online info regarding caring for yellow hearts. The ratty ones- should I remove them?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can, I do sometimes, other times I just ignore, but I have fish, snails and more water.

Since it is a new plant review slowly, the plant is probably still getting some growth help from them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You can add minnows guppies, but you will need to bring them in for the winter. I would guess the water freezes solid. The lily will not survive if the tuber freezes
I’d definitely have to add some shade over the barrel in the hottest part of the afternoon. Water at 9am was 70°. Not sure which, minnows or guppies would be better suited for warmer temps. Afraid goldfish would get too big for this barrel.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Depending on your local predatory animals and where the barrel is (yard, porch), any fish could be at risk. You could put some tough screening over it to keep some varmints out. Your barrel may be too small for goldfish, though you could try a very small feeder goldfish or two and bring them in to a tank inside for the winter. Whatever you choose, enjoy!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Depending on your local predatory animals and where the barrel is (yard, porch), any fish could be at risk. You could put some tough screening over it to keep some varmints out. Your barrel may be too small for goldfish, though you could try a very small feeder goldfish or two and bring them in to a tank inside for the winter. Whatever you choose, enjoy!
I too am thinking it’s too small for any type of goldfish. Maybe I should just stick to trying minnows or guppies?!

Ask a Question