Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hello All!

I'm moving to a house with a pond in the backyard in about 2 weeks. I've always wanted a pond!!! I know nothing about them and came here for help.

My pond is basically a hole in the ground. The owner dug it out and it's clay lined. When inside the pond, he said it's waist deep. The color looked un-naturally blue. I asked if he put dye in the water and sure enough, he did. I don't like artificial things, but he assured me that it doesn't harm wildlife. I will not continue to dye the pond. There are fish in there, but I'm not sure what type. He feeds them every other day.

There are no plants, which I plan on adding as soon as possible.

When I move in I will post a picture. I'm so excited to move soon and enjoy this new pond adventure!

Christine

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome and congratulations on the new house! I am with you on the dye. As one who prefers natural set ups, investigate posts on bog filters. The best natural algae control pond filter there is. Here is one thread:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sounds as you will be a good Stewart for your pond . just remember quick changes are the biggest enemy. and do youe homework as to what plants you introduce many can become a real fight to remove down the road

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1661620313621.gif
@christinespond

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Welcome! This is a great place to find out (almost) anything you ever wanted to know about ponds and pond life. Just search through the old threads, and if the answer isn't there, ask. I've found that there are lots of very knowledgeable folks here.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

We love helping others with their ponds.

Ask a Question