Help for a newbie

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi. I’m new to this forum but I’ve found a lot of suggestions helpful. I have a home where I inherited a pond and I love it. In the summer it’s wonderful to sit by. I think I need to make some changes so I can get clean clear water though. I never knew about big filters and I’m terrible at picturing things so I took some pictures of my pond in hopes you all could give me suggestions on how to tie a big filter into my current pond.

Can I use old concrete pieces in my pond if they are washed and cleaned? More rockery is something I’ve seen other have that I don’t have.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 247A36DE-99CB-4BD4-853B-FB1AFBE7DD13.jpeg
    247A36DE-99CB-4BD4-853B-FB1AFBE7DD13.jpeg
    326.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 9489340D-9BD9-4DF9-B5D0-2280A3DE2032.jpeg
    9489340D-9BD9-4DF9-B5D0-2280A3DE2032.jpeg
    324.3 KB · Views: 35

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

We can give you a lot of suggestions.
First I would pull the liner back a bit and dig a shallow shelf. On that shallow shelf you would lay the liner and have it come up the new edge.

The lay rocks on your shallow shelf coming up and out of the pond. It will hide the liner nicely. I am on my phone, the pictures are on the computer, that would show you what I mean.

Then start digging a hole for the bog.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome aboard,
Your pond is at phase one, like @addy1 said the first plan of attack is to get the liner hidden above the fluctuating water line. That trick alone will change your water sitting on a rubber liner to a naturalistic looking pond a work of art. I to have my pond up against my patio we are always sitting out back.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

We can give you a lot of suggestions.
First I would pull the liner back a bit and dig a shallow shelf. On that shallow shelf you would lay the liner and have it come up the new edge.

The lay rocks on your shallow shelf coming up and out of the pond. It will hide the liner nicely. I am on my phone, the pictures are on the computer, that would show you what I mean.

Then start digging a hole for the bog.
I was thinking that would be better. I’ve also noticed that people put an under layment and then the pond liner. This pond only has the liner. I think I need to do that as well.

The far end of my pond is already shallow I was thinking that’s the best place to put the bog. As far as running the pipe to the bog is it appropriate to run it up and on the outside of the pond then into the bog?

Sorry for all the questions

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You have hopefully only begun with the questions.

After having a pond the size you do making it smaller you will regret.

Ask a Question