Next dream koi

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
as winter has a grip on some of us and some of us are enjoying the crazy days of summer, and we all look at ponds with a glass in one hand and thoughts running through our heads, what is the next fish we are thinking of buying, or in my case the next fish my wife may let me buy, im looking to try and find a Aka Bekko, a ki Bekko, so i have the complete set lol or to set the pond off a beautiful tancho Kohaku.

Reaction score
I have a beautiful butterfly Aka Bekko (that's orange and black, right?). He/she is very skittish, I don't have a nice picture yet. The yellow and black would be amazing!

I'm pretty maxed out. So no more new fish for me right now. Plus my fish store here doesn't usual get choice fish, so slim pickings here! I did manage to get a gorgeous white gin rin. But ever since I added him I've had water problems, so I haven't got to enjoy him very much.

I'm stuck in perpetual summer here in the Caribbean, so ponding is year round. I can see why winter would be a nice break and allow you to miss it and get excited to spruce up the pond area.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
We are looking for just the right Ki Utsuri we bought a doitsu Koromo last year, a Kujaku and a stunning Asagi all for growing on cant wait to see them in the spring to see how they got on through the winter months.
Slick whatever you do dont be tempted by a Butterfly koi (beautiful as they are , the arent recognised by the BKKS an at the moment never will be.
They would probably court martial you then drum you out of the section and BKKS to boot :LOL:.
It'll be a brave person who gets them recognised by the BKKS ;)

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
yes a aka Bekko is orange \ red and black and a Ki Bekko is yellow and black,at the mo i only have the Shiro Bekko white and black cow print lol not to be confused with the Utsuri mono which looks the same but instead of a pure white head it has black on their heads, one of my most loved fish i own (a bit boring i know is my gin rin chagoi
2014-06-09 20.45.53.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry I cant see for the light refecting on the water mate but isnt that a bodakii korromo just unser the Chagio ?

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Try the doitsu variety of them slick they are a beautiful koi, have you thought about buying an albino koi yet ?
They are called Akame Kigio's translates to red eyed albino koi , their colouration isnt white its lemon in colour .
We also have a chagoi that is olive in colouration , have you ever thought about the Ochiba shigure another stunning koi that is.
Like the chagoi they are known for their friendly laid back ways, something that will effect all the other koi in your pond as well if you own one one (which you do) :happy:

Dave

Last edited:

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
DSC08035.JPG
This is actually my new dream koi, after a horrible start last year it took a while to sit down and talk myself into one more imported koi. Female Omosako Shiro Utsuri born may 2012, Now if I can just find that Kujaku I keep hunting for.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Slick these are bt a few of the koi weve had from our sections Grow and show competitions these last few years or so

IM000100.JPG
GinRin showa

Kujaku.jpg
Kujaku

Dave's Ochiba_small.jpg
Ochiba shiguri

Doitsu Goshiki.jpg
Doitsu Goshki

The aim is to grow them as best you can over a set period of time , the Ochiba won this first time out :cool:
There was another that sadly jumped into the only bit of the net it couldnt get back from and was cooked by the sun , much to say we were gutted mate
As we felt it would grow to be a good size koi

Gin Rin Showa1.jpeg
GinRin showa

Dave

Attachments

• Gin Rin Showa1.jpeg
    Gin Rin Showa1.jpeg
    42.8 KB · Views: 341
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Koi are so beautiful but I don't have a pond large enough to keep one long term. I hope someday to rectify that situation :cool:
They have a magic about them Maria once bitten forever smitten by them with us it was love at first sight and from a chance meeting with another lover of koi we now have our own club full of many other like minded people .

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
HI Dave 54 the photo of the black and white koi, with a pure white head is a shiro Bekko as i acquired one this October, a beautiful koi top marks for the white head with no other markings quite hard to get hold of a good clean example, took me around 9 months of searching dealers kept trying to sell me a Shiro Utsuri same type of looking fish but may have or could develop black on its head, both very very nice koi.

Ask a Question