Nitrates zero?

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I don't know if you're referring to my OP, but I didn't say that. I asked "So is it unusual to have a fish pond with zero nitrates?"
crsublette said:
This is why I am quite curious as to the thought process of suggesting zero nitrates could be a sign of a problem that needs to be resolved.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Well, I think there is an implication in the statement that suggests, if it is unusual, then it might be the result of a "bad type" of unusual which needs to be addressed, but I tend to be a glass half empty guy so I go straight to the negative. No problem man, just a different interpretation of the same statement. :cheerful:

No worries. It's all good man. :afro:

Reaction score
crsublette said:
The Nitrate water tests we have access to do not perform well at all at testing low concentration volumes and this is due to the cadmium reduction techinique the manufacturer chooses to implement. The typical nitrate pond test kits will only accurately test down to 10~20mg/L and then the accuracy will be quite volatile when it is below or close to this. If folk truely want to have a more accurate test of their Nitrates, when they're at a low concentration, then they will need to look into using more sophisticated tests such as created by HACH (which range from $30~$80) and are either in the form of a reagent test like we are familiar with or a powder or pill or or a solution used in conjunction with a colorimeter.
Or a spectrum analyzer for $26,350. But maybe the money would be better spent on therapy?

crsublette said:
The point is... Do not assume your Nitrates are zero even though your test kit says it is. If your test kit says zero, then there is likely still 4mg/L or 7mg/L or even 15 mg/L of Nitrates in the water.
Which for all intents and purposes is what pond keepers refer to as zero.

crsublette said:
Also, when a Nitrate test we have access to states there is zero, I doubt there is actually zero nitrates.
Actually, in a living pond the concept of zero nitrate is not valid. Nitrates are continuously being produced and consumed. You can only test a water sample, not the pond. How's that for silly? Oooooh, cancel my spectrum analyzer order.

Reaction score
The "actually" game continues...

Waterbug said:
Actually, in a living pond the concept of zero nitrate is not valid. Nitrates are continuously being produced and consumed. You can only test a water sample, not the pond. How's that for silly? Oooooh, cancel my spectrum analyzer order.
Actually Waterbug, string theory believes a nitrate molecule can both exist and not exist at the same time.

Reaction score
Waterbug said:
Actually Waterbug, string theory believes a nitrate molecule can both exist and not exist at the same time.
Actually Waterbug, Buddhism teaches us the base concept of emptiness, where the quality of nitrate can never objectively observed.

Reaction score
Waterbug said:
Actually Waterbug, Buddhism teaches us the base concept of emptiness, where the quality of nitrate can never objectively observed.
Actually, as Descarte points out...we may not even exist.

The "actually" game always seems to end with Descarte.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Waterbug said:

Lets play the Mr. Obvious game.

Thank you Mr. Obvious. It is quite obvious these products are continuously produced in a living pond, otherwise the pond would not be "living" to much. Now, to suggest this production is instantaneously consumed due to the nutrients simply existing, this I truely doubt since even plants, including algae, require time to consume their nutrients, which these experiments are done in the planted aquarium and coral reef hobby, and this constant production would indicate there will always be an accumulation of Nitrates within the water, whether it be .1 mg/L or .0001 mg/L.

Then again, it sure is easy to play the Mr. Obvious game whenever we are just creating our own theories rather than reading what other hobbies are accomplishing. :0000000057:

Reaction score
dieselplower said:
What exactly actually just happened there? I actually think Waterbug may have just beat himself in a debate and actually self destructed. Hope you are ok actually.
Best way to win a debate. LOL

Seriously, he is just suffering from lack of sleep. I've noticed he does most of his posting in this forum between 12 am and 5 am.

Waterbug, if you are reading this go get some sleep my friend.

Reaction score
Mucky_Waters said:
Seriously, he is just suffering from lack of sleep. I've noticed he does most of his posting in this forum between 12 am and 5 am.
I'm suppose to be writing software not thinking about ponds. Internet is too addictive. I keep trying to kick the habit but then, oh just one post. It's a real problem.

Ask a Question