No Feeding in the Winter?

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
This is my first Winter, I am in Chicago Suburbs so the temp has gotten in the 20's - 30's already. I have about 20 fish in my Pond and I was stocking them up on noodles late summer and into the Fall. Once the water temp dropped below 55 degrees I have stopped feeding them, is that correct?

What if I have a nice 3 day weekend in December or January how do you time it so you can feed them & they can digest before it gets cold again; or do you just not feed them till Spring?

Thank you,

Shane

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
water temp governs feeding not air temps...that said...
once youve stopped feeding you should wait till spring... a few days of warmer weather isnt likely to raise water temps enough for feeding. and even if the water temp hits 55* , their digestive system still needs time to allow the digestive bacteria and enzimes to rebuild. if on the chance they do get a bit hungry its more than likely they'd find adequate substainence in the pond in the form of alge or other plant life. undigested food will sit and rot in their digestive tract...causing possible health risks.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You only start feeding again when the water gets above 55 and stays there, some people wait until the water gets up to 60 and stays there. Don't go by the air temperature.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
For future refrence Noodles isn a koi feed and you should in reality be feeding them wheatgerm to help with the weight they put on in spring summer them through the winter months
I work in Celcius , so from when the thermometer drops bellow that of 10c or 50f then you should in all circumstances stop feeding your koi untill the water climbs back over the 10c mark in the spring, thats if unless you wish to heat your pond then as long as the temperature is up above 10c you can continue to keep feeding .
Do not be tempted to feed them , they may come up and ask but be firm and dont feed them, they will snaxk on the algea surrounding your pond if they are hungey

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Does the same thing apply to Golfish? I've never had fish and just adopted 12 Goldees with 24 babies. I did stop feeding when it got to be around 48-50 degrees, but it has been in the 60's everyday for a week now. So yesterday they came out for the first time during the day, and I fed them a very tiny bit. I know now i may have made a mistake, but will they be ok? It does tend to get warm earlier in my area sooner than most places. I live in the central valley calif, maybe than will help make a difference. I don't know, I hope they will be alright. Should I get a heater now...just in case?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
same thing if they are hungry they will find plenty of muck on the pond sides and algae to it .If your pond water is above 50 or 60 degrees then I give them a little wheat germ .I don't really use a heater here but bought one after the 2010 winter .You always go by water temps not air temps

Reaction score
Thanks sissy. I got so excited cuz it was the first time they came out of hiding during the day. I wanted them to know i was their mommy, so i gave them food and was hoping they would not be so scared to come out.
There is a time for all things...I must keep that in mind while I keep myself in bed healing a crack in my tibia bone :kruecken:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you go by the pond everytime they come up they will get used to seeing you and if you put your hand in or near the water they will get to the point where they trust .Double side to that as it makes them not fear predators .

Ask a Question