TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
It is said you should keep your pumps submerged to prevent any rubber parts from drying out. I used to drop them in a bucket of water in my basement for the winter. Now I just lower my one pump to the bottom of the pond after unplugging it.
Wow! Never knew that! Mabye that’s why all my nice pumps are leaking, just. A little but the connectors to do spray a bit of water.....

the new pond is dee enough ( 32 inches ) that I can just lower them though :)

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Took me a few years to figure out why every year within a week of starting my ponds up, the pumps died! Nothing in the instructions says to store pumps in water. The seals and gaskets can dry out so extra pumps are stored in water, others just stay in pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The only submersibles I have ever used are small, I have yanked them out of the pond, tossed them on a shelf then years later have started using them. Never had a issue. I have one in my hot tub pond and one in my small deck ponds. But the are small and cheap if they fail. I did have one I left in my deck pond, shallow fishless pond, that froze solid one year. In the spring the pump fired right up.

The other 7 ponds are run by my one external pump which I pull and store in the shed outside until the next year. I used to bring it inside until I saw all the spider nests on it, no thanks!

Ask a Question