Pond temperatures 48 to 55 degrees all winter in Northeast Ohio even through polar vortex

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not sure what to make of this I put in a new Pond past year with a bog it's about an eight by nine 800 gallon 3 feet deep. The first winner I had the warmest pond water temperatures that I have ever had now mind you I have gone from a hundred gallon pond to an 800 gallon pond at first I thought it was because of the depth. But was still very shocked throughout the winner even during the polar vortex temperatures never dipped below 48 degrees. The only thing that I can actually attribute this too is that I cover the pond with lattice that is covered in plastic like for greenhouses I thought maybe I was creating a greenhouse effect for my pond I even had daylilies growing under there throughout the winter in Northeast Ohio kind of blew my mind. So I tried an experiment with the Frog Pond which was just a hundred gallon preformed pond that I placed in the back perennial gardens I was able to get electric there so I was able to run a bubbler through the use of extension cords for outside buried under mulch. So I did the same thing because I wasn't sure if the bubbler would continue it always quits on my koi pond but the koi pond is not completely sealed with plastic the edges are open about 2 to 3 in around the entire pond. So I covered the frog pond 100 gallon pond with a small bubbler with a piece of lattice and 3 Sheets of plastic for Greenhouseeffect. The bubbler machine is under the plastic next to the pond with very little tubing 2 create a Greenhouse effect. with my hopes to prevent the little frog pond from freezing. My little grandson would be so disappointed if his frogs died. To my surprise checking on it throughout the winter the bubbler never stopped not even during the polar vortex there's no heater in this pond No pumps nothing just rocks and bubbler. It created almost like a teranium affect where it would warm up during the day creating condensation on the inside and then dripping water back into the pond I didn't lose any to evaporation I was totally amazed at the outcome it may consider doing that with my koi pond next year as the bubbler always freezes up. I have even considered maybe doing it over the entire area on keeping the bog running not sure about that one though was afraid of ice dams. at 50 degrees all winter long I even had to feed my fish two or three times this year because of temperatures were above 55 I think it's creating a kind of microenvironment but it definitely was very surprising to me. Anybody else cover their ponds in this manner I learned this trick from a lady who doesn't up in Canada over her pond so that she never gets them iced over it's pretty effective as long as you're Pond is not too large.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
This is the third winter I've covered my pond. I run a small aerator with 4 air stones suspended about 10 inches below the water's surface and a Pond Breather.

It's pretty remarkable to see a few plants still green at the pond's edge and I don't lose water to evaporation. It's an effort to cover it, but I believe it's worth it, especially as my koi are older and larger....I think they benefit.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree totally I found this fascinating because we had some days where it was - 24 and this little hundred gallon pond covered with a makeshift low to the ground Greenhouse did not freeze and the bubbler stayed going in it I was shocked but I had nothing to lose by trying. My koi pond is very protected on the side of the deck but it's always been that way for 20 some years and then I thought well maybe it was cuz I went deeper I went to three feet from 18 in when I redid it in 2017. But I think it's really relative to the plastic covers on top I think it's a very good benefit for fish and wildlife in the pond in these very cold regions I have never been one to let it freeze I always keep my pumps in the pond and going in the winter to keep my filters up and running it makes Springtime very easy and carefree transition. But I might have stumbled onto a way of keeping that bog running all winter I believe it would have to be completely sealed though. I do have a heater in there but it never kicked on this winter water never got down to 35 degrees. The only thing that I was a little concerned about was it didn't seem like the fish had much cold time to endure I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Really neat, my pond stayed around 40 this winter. But that is with all turned off and deep.

Ask a Question