Nutrient for bog plant

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Plants won't "reject" one source of nutrient in favor of another, but they can only uptake as much as they need. Excess nutrients will cause problems in your pond in the form of algae overgrowth.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
what Lisa said. I'd only add additional fert of any nature IF my bog plants weren't growing/thriving. So far after 6 summers, they haven't asked to see a menu yet!

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Well...
Okay, can someone tell me what humus really is ?
Based on my research in recent days , traces elements n iron are micro nutrients
Nitrogen or maybe in this case is Nitrate is one of macro nutrient,
So based on my understanding, macro nutrients is the main food for plant to life,
Micro are secondary..

So what is humus ? Macro /micro?
If we give humus and nitrate at the sametime... Which one they absorb first ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well...
Okay, can someone tell me what humus really is ?
Based on my research in recent days , traces elements n iron are micro nutrients
Nitrogen or maybe in this case is Nitrate is one of macro nutrient,
So based on my understanding, macro nutrients is the main food for plant to life,
Micro are secondary..

So what is humus ? Macro /micro?
If we give humus and nitrate at the sametime... Which one they absorb first ?
I don't take the science down to that level as I don't have the need; if the plants are thriving, I make the assumption they're getting everything they need. I'm sure some googling will give you the exact science, though. I do believe plants need both to live long and healthy; organisms can live on the macro but thrive if the micro is present as well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Instead of focusing right now on which nutrients are available for your plants, make sure your water PH is suitable for your plants to help them absorb what nutrients are available.
Usually a PH of 7.0 or below is best.
Which plant species are you thinking of?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Australia
This might be a bit off topic but I figure its better than starting a new thread for a quick n simple question.
With your bog filters do you guys pump water from the pond depths into the bog cycling the water through or is the bog static?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This might be a bit off topic but I figure its better than starting a new thread for a quick n simple question.
With your bog filters do you guys pump water from the pond depths into the bog cycling the water through or is the bog static?
I pump directly into the bog. My pond pump pulls water about a foot off the bottom of the pond and sends it into the bog via 2 2 inch pvc pipes laid under the pea gravel with slots cut into them. It is my only filter, I never get green water or string algae, in the fish filled ponds. The small slow flow warm ponds get string, but still no green water. I leave the string for the critters, the bees use it as a landing pad to drink water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Australia
That's awesome, I have just started reading the bog building thread and realized that that is what I made for my turtle pond, I guess I just never knew what its called.
It also seems like a great way to build a low energy pond, having zero head (not that my turtle pond is as it has a waterfall) would mean you could use much smaller pumps.
I'm wanting to dig another pond in front of my turtle pond for my goose, my dog and the wildlife to play in, no fish just some open water and lots of plants, rocks and logs, I'm thinking I'll need a big bog area to deal with the goose waste and keep the water clean enough for the local frogs to breed.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6B (-5 to 0 F)
Country
United States
I’m new to this site and this is probably a dumb question but can someone explain what a bog filter is?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We use the term "bog" rather loosely, only because it's easier than saying "planted wetland filter" or "vegetative upflow filter". But basically as @addy1 described, a bog filter is comprised of water being forced up through gravel that is planted at the top with a variety of water loving plants. The gravel acts as both a planting medium and a place for beneficial bacteria to colonize. The plants remove nitrates from the water. The bog filter is nature's way of completing the cycle.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6B (-5 to 0 F)
Country
United States
Here you go

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/bog-building.6894/

Mine is a large up flow pea gravel filter full of plants called a bog

Thank you for this article. Very helpful! I saw the sketches attached to the article of different types of bogs, but do you happen to have any pictures of one under construction or even a step-by-step diagram? We are in the design/digging phase of our very first pond, and are looking to build a small (8x8) fish pond. If I want a waterfall in the pond, that would be a second pump, correct?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6B (-5 to 0 F)
Country
United States
Thank you for this article. Very helpful! I saw the sketches attached to the article of different types of bogs, but do you happen to have any pictures of one under construction or even a step-by-step diagram? We are in the design/digging phase of our very first pond, and are looking to build a small (8x8) fish pond. If I want a waterfall in the pond, that would be a second pump, correct?
The PVC pipe is NOT filled with gravel, right? The water pumps through the PVC, and filters through the gravel bed where all the nice plants live? (please forgive the stupid questions).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The PVC pipe is NOT filled with gravel, right? The water pumps through the PVC, and filters through the gravel bed where all the nice plants live? (please forgive the stupid questions).
correct there is no gravel in the pvc.

Ask a Question