Oase 5000 filter advice

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oase 5000 filter
I asked Oase customer service this question without resolution.

I have a lined pond aprox 14' x 8' containing aprox 45 Goldfish. The water is crystal clear and water quality is perfect. The problem is that I have to clean the four foam filters almost everyday. The cleaning indicator pops up and the water flows though the bypass ports. Last Summer the everyday cleanings eventually slowed down to once a week and then weren't needed at all, the filter operated for about 4 months without a cleaning. The flow rate of the pump is 550 gph which is fine according to Oase. This year the filtering process started 3/1

Is this normal considering that the water is clear and water quality tests perfect?
Any advice would be appreciated

Tom S

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

I’m sorry, but I have no advice for you. I’m surprised that customer service couldn’t help, either. Usually, filters slow down when they get full, but it seems odd that yours starts out slow, and improves over time. Maybe your pond starts out dirty....? Are you installing the filter pads correctly....?

Reaction score
Oase 5000 filter
I asked Oase customer service this question without resolution.

I have a lined pond aprox 14' x 8' containing aprox 45 Goldfish. The water is crystal clear and water quality is perfect. The problem is that I have to clean the four foam filters almost everyday. The cleaning indicator pops up and the water flows though the bypass ports. Last Summer the everyday cleanings eventually slowed down to once a week and then weren't needed at all, the filter operated for about 4 months without a cleaning. The flow rate of the pump is 550 gph which is fine according to Oase. This year the filtering process started 3/1

Is this normal considering that the water is clear and water quality tests perfect?
Any advice would be appreciated

Tom S

You have given length/width, but not depth.

I suspect you have more water volume than your filter can handle and perhaps the reason you have to clean it so often early in the year is because the rest of your pond is still catching up early in the year and by summer it's caught up and then your filter isnt as taxed.
Oase specifications say this is good for max 5000gallons with no fish, max 2500 with fish and max 1250gallons with koi.
I usually half the manufacturer specifications...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Agree.
Your filter is most likely clogging up early in the season due to it being the only means of filtering during that period.
As the weather warms, the beneficial bacteria and your plants kick in and help immensely with the filtering process.
Also, our ponds tend to grow a lot of blanket algae in early Spring. That stuff can clog your filter quickly. Once the bigger plants mature, they will starve out that algae and your filter will not be sucking in all those chunks of algae.

Many of us have bog filters that need very little, if any maintenance.
I love my bog. I no longer have the constant maintenance of cleaning out filters. It makes the pond much more enjoyable.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1619540828911.gif
and welcome @tsmithnj

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have an Oase 5500 and at the beginning of every season I have to clean it almost daily. It get so sludgey. But as time goes by, the plants get going and the bacteria get going, I don't have to clean it as often. I'm just thankful it's so easy to clean!

Ask a Question