On frozen pond...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
There are people who would agree with you @Donna Saverino MI - there's been lots of talk here about "super-cooling" your pond with water flowing from the falls or mixing the warmer water at the bottom with colder water from the top causing stress to fish.

In our case we've found that keeping our pond running all year long works great for us. We have a bit of a different set up as we have no skimmer or mechanical filter. Our pond flows into an underground rainwater harvesting system which we believe is where that necessary gas exchange is able to happen even when the pond is completely iced over. Also, we have a bog filter and the first year after we shut the pond down we were a bit distressed by how bad the pond smelled when we first started it up in the spring - very stagnant and mucky smelling. While it dissipated quickly and didn't appear to harm the fish, it wasn't very pleasant to deal with. Also, when we shut our pond down, because of the way it's constructed, the water level drops about 8-10 inches, leaving all our marginal plants exposed to the air. That first year we lost every single one of our plants. Keeping the pond running keeps the water level high and the plants stay under the ice - we've not lost a single one since.

Every pond is so different - I think it's important to understand how your pond works and do what makes the most sense for you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
Agreed. I followed the recommendation of our home's previous owner--he said he left the falls on 365 days a year with no issue and just used the de-icers near the skimmer as needed if the surface started to ice over. I think the trick is how a pond is designed. I believe the previous owners had a professional company design the pond, so everything was designed and set up in such a way that we can keep everything running all year long without water quality problems or fish death.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well we just drilled through the ice...............not easy............. our ice layer is 10.5 inches deep.
I hope it is no deeper in the small loop ponds (to the left). There were a few fish in the first one that got there via eggs or fry surviving a wild ride, through a pump down a garden hose! I tried to catch them no luck.
Both pond breathers in the bigger ponds breathing away!
It is warming up for a few days then back into the 30's. It will take awhile for this ice to melt.
pond.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My de-icer finally melted through to water yesterday - we have 5 inches of ice. 10 1/2 is crazy thick ice!
Surprise me! We bought a long paddle bit and started drilling, sure could tell when you punched through. The hole is frozen over already again.

It will be a bit before the ponds melt.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
When it goes from ice, to slushy, to clear, am going to brave the great outdoors again!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
The pond is still ice-free, and because it warmed up today to 46 degrees (and rising overnight), I saw the fish swimming for the first time in over a month. They decided to come out from under the slab and look around. No sign of the very small koi fry, though--they are probably still hiding under the slab as there are no plants/etc. for them to hide around right now.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
After 3 weeks of being totally iced over, the pond is totally ice free today. Woohoo! I think having the aerator helped to melt the ice, along with 56 degree weather. Saw some of the fish moving about. Waiting for the next freeze which is coming tomorrow, but feel better now that the pond was open for a day.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We have open water today, but still plenty of ice. Didn't see any fish... they are low and slow I imagine!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
70f here, ponds starting to thaw. Now I just need a new filter (or 2)! Stock tank drain pipe froze and exploded. Looking at getting another Savio waterfall filter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Lost two big koi. I'm still upset not sure what happened. Don't even want to throw these guys in the garbage there so big. Its raining now. I had a hole in the ice and filters off. it stinks. Can't find two more but still icy. agh

Ask a Question