On frozen pond...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Sorry about your koi, it's been so cold, I think lots of us are struggling with our ponds.
Thanks!
I can't even tell for sure which one it is that I lost, it's mostly under the flap and I can only see a fin and a bit of the belly...I fear it's my Yamabuki Ogon even though I don't see enough yellow:(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Gemma We lost a koi a few years ago - saw him frozen in the ice and had to wait for some thawing to get to him. Same thing - could only see the belly, so I couldn't tell which fish it was. Then I pulled him out and STILL couldn't tell - it was dusk and a bit too dark to see details - so I laid him in my raised bed garden hoping I could get a better look at him in the morning light. Later that same evening I happened to glance out the patio door and saw a GIANT raccoon gnawing away at my dead, frozen fish! Absolutely the largest raccoon I had EVER seen - and we have a lot of them here in the suburbs. This one was well fed! I ran out the door like a wild woman and that critter just calmly picked up my fish and climbed the pine tree and kept snacking away! Later I was able to laugh about it and was actually kind of OK with the fact that my poor dead fish had served one last purpose!

Moral of the story is - I had to wait until spring when I could see the rest of my fish to figure out who was missing! Oh, and it was none of the fish I thought it might be - that fish looked nothing like himself from the bottom!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That must have been awful!
I hope mine turns out to be one of the ones I wanted to rehome

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I was sad at the time, but we laugh about it now. We never did figure out why the fish died - it seemed like he was just too dumb to get to the bottom when the pond froze over. He looked perfect... well, frozen. But perfect otherwise!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
@Gemma and @Lisak1 , Could "like" your posts....seemed insensitive ! LOL

I admit to not peeking under the cover to see my pond, fingers crossed it's ok. We had to release part of the shade sail over top of it, as it was sagging beneath the snow.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I wish every one well with their ponds this year .So far one snow storm and maybe a small one tomorrow night into wed . but they say from a trace to 3 inch's so expecting more .They never get it right here .Glad it is holding off because hubby has heart doctor appointment tomorrow .Other explorer still in the shop and he has not found out what is wrong because only thing that showed it needed replaced on testing machine was the gas filter but still does not start .Starter tested fine but he still checked it again .

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It's going to make for a very busy spring for a lot of pond owners! I'm going to try to rearrange my filter systems so I don't have the expense of buying a new one or building one. Means more koi will have to be rehomed.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pond has 10 plus inches ice on it again, froze right back up, did a bit of a surface melt during the heat wave.
snow coming then heat

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
Pond thawed last week, but it's frozen solid today. Temp about 14, with wind chill of -5. Plugged the de-icer in, and now have an air hole. Pump still running, and fall/stream doing fine, with a thin layer on the stream.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I peeked under my cover today, but it was pretty dark, due to the snow on top of the cover. I'm pretty sure the PVC pipe I had airstones hanging from, broke, meaning this 2 airstones dropped :( I believe the other 2 airstones are ok.

Honestly there isn't anything I can do, as the snow is on top of the cover and it's very cold. I could see that the water is still open.

We're supposed to get up over 50 degrees this week end, so I'll be able to investigate further.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
lots of snow on my pond but no ice at all .Hope it gets better for all in this storms path and hear there is another storm brewing
100_3048.JPG

Ask a Question