Ornamental Goldfish? (And a fresh rap yo)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I have one fantail in my pond and he overwintered with the others just fine. He has no problem getting his share of food.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
That's exactly what I have observed. That's why I'm giving it a try :)
You can give it a try if you wish cant say we havent pointed out the pitfalls to you , there is a rule never to put the slower facy goldfish in tanks together that I recall being told by at least six tropical fish shop owners
Remember when you feed these fish are slower than their cousins when it comes to feeding so make when feeding that they do get their own fair share of food .
Also remember they are prone to many disorders and need to be kept an eye on .
Last but not least their messed up body shape makes them slow swimmers . so unlike their couins they cant duck
preditors as fast, so you'll need to protect them against predation either by using decoy fish anchored to the bottom of your pond (hopefully the preditor will go for this first ) , or you net the pond .
Personally I wouldnt put them in a pond nor would Val .

Dave

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
fantails in my pond 10 years but I do live in VA near NC border so not a good compare .I think CE has them in her pond also .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
You can give it a try if you wish cant say we havent pointed out the pitfalls to you , there is a rule never to put the slower facy goldfish in tanks together that I recall being told by at least six tropical fish shop owners
Remember when you feed these fish are slower than their cousins when it comes to feeding so make when feeding that they do get their own fair share of food .
Also remember they are prone to many disorders and need to be kept an eye on .
Last but not least their messed up body shape makes them slow swimmers . so unlike their couins they cant duck
preditors as fast, so you'll need to protect them against predation either by using decoy fish anchored to the bottom of your pond (hopefully the preditor will go for this first ) , or you net the pond .
Personally I wouldnt put them in a pond nor would Val .

Dave
Oop's sorry should have read You can give it a try if you wish cant say we havent pointed out the pitfalls to you , there is a rule never to put the slower facy goldfish in tanks together with that of normal goldfish that I recall being told by at least six tropical fish shop owners
To add further this has happened over the years weve been keeping koi and was in conversation with the shop owners many of who we now count as friend's
Its sound advice from QATA trained peoplen an exam all shop owners and staff have to take here in the UK

Dave

ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I have never had a problem with predators so I am not actively worried about them getting eaten. Also my pond is 4 feet deep so most predators aren't exactly standing within the pond. I get the risks but everyone who has actually kept them in their pond on here seem to think that most of this is just assumed precautionary information. So there is only one way to find out for sure, I guess I'll just have to give them a try!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Are fan tails considered ornamentals?

Maybe the issue isn't so much NOT to do it, but doing so with caution and the knowledge that you may or may not be putting your fish in danger. I would definitely be sure the environment in the pond was as safe & fish-friendly as possible by assuring there are no sharp edges or hard, rough surfaces that could cause injury. As well as plenty of places for fish to hide -- lots of plants, etc.

ZmanArt007

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Are fan tails considered ornamentals?

Maybe the issue isn't so much NOT to do it, but doing so with caution and the knowledge that you may or may not be putting your fish in danger. I would definitely be sure the environment in the pond was as safe & fish-friendly as possible by assuring there are no sharp edges or hard, rough surfaces that could cause injury. As well as plenty of places for fish to hide -- lots of plants, etc.
I do believe that fantails are considered fancy goldfish yes. I understand the risks and I'm going for it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I have never had a problem with predators so I am not actively worried about them getting eaten. Also my pond is 4 feet deep so most predators aren't exactly standing within the pond. I get the risks but everyone who has actually kept them in their pond on here seem to think that most of this is just assumed precautionary information. So there is only one way to find out for sure, I guess I'll just have to give them a try!
Done my Job I've imformed you of the risks involved as long as you've covered all the angles, however just because you've never had a preditor doesnt mean you woont ever see one.
It's your decision and we wish you the best of luck .

Dave

Reaction score
Zman I have what is supposed to be a fancy tail, he has a ryunkin shaped body; kind of golfball size. His tail did not develop like my other fancy tails, wher as the "normal" ryunkins have a split faned appearance, his tail did not spilt and looks like there is just one fin back there. He really has two but they didn't fan out making it look as one. He is still a very pretty fish and has no trouble keeping up with the rest of the pack. I was told he was called a "nymph" GF? I think that's right. It's what breeders cull out of their stock because it is an UN wanted trait. Truthfully I think I like this little guy better because he Can hang with the big guys and still has the fancy tail body that give you the interest you looking for. He is growing very fast in the pond too, so he gets plenty to eat. They might be Hard to find, but if you could find a breeder somewhere, I'm sure they would almost be happy to give you your pick of the culled ones. I'm sure it's not something they love to do, just all in the name of business :) you do what you gotta do to make it.

ZmanArt007

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I have heard of nymph goldfish, I do find them intriguing :). I think I'll just start with regular fancies and if they reproduce and I get some nymphs I will keep them around. I don't know any breeders or even any ponders around here so receiving the culls isn't an option.

Reaction score
As long as you have a deep enough pond, predators will not be a problem. Now that being said I had all of my fancy tails ( 2 Oranda's, 2 ryunkins, and 2 calico's and a shubunkin all except one with split tails) in my small pond ( 2 feet deep at its deepest) last year up until this last fall, so they were in there for three years no problems ( over wintering in the pond). A raccoon was seen in the yard and the next day all were gone except the guy I explained above. He being much faster than the others survived. My feeling on this, is that the pond they were in is very narrow and shallow on one end so they were easy pickings for whatever got them, because they are slower swimming fish. But as I said, in a large pond that is deep, predators that are coming from the edges will not be a problem, they may have a harder time competing for food but ( which as long as you are aware of this is not a problem and do things to help them) they winter over fine, I've had them for four years now and they do just fine. Good luck Hun. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I had a concerned PM from a respected member of this forum re Zmans plans for ornamental fish in his pond saying how they were upset after he had been given all the facts and was still going ahead with his plans for ornamentals in his pond
It seems as if there is two trains of though on ornamentals in pond those that say yes you can keep them and those that say no its unfair to an ornamental fish to compete against its more normal cousins .
Fish shop owners say its a bad idea , the good Dr Johnson and many other experts in the no advise against putting them in ponds some goldfish keepers have expressed great reserves whilst others say they dont have problems but the racoons snakes and other preditors can and do take them (which to others is putting a fish in harms way), ourselves included .
There is no set answer to this but Zman you are now aware fully of the pitfalls that can befall ornamentals both health and preditor wise which is why they are normally kept indoors safe in tanks where they can be watched 24/7 365 days a year and admired for what they are "ornamentals"in the tank enviroment they are not bullied for food by their normal cousins and any koi that may be in the pond
There are those of us that say in a pond you cant do this especially for many of thee miriad of things that can befall them health wise.
As to overwintering I've heard of ornamentals getting stuck in the ice and dying simply because they are s;low moving or have health issues such as swimbladder issues .
Zman has been made aware of the risks involved but its up to him if he does the right thing or not
We in the no camp can only be there to help should things go drastically wrong with his ornamentals

Dave

Reaction score
Wow that must be a very slow fish to get stuck in ice! Why won't this respected member speak for themself? Has this respected member ever kept fancy goldfish in a pond? Has ANY person in this thread who said it shouldn't be done kept them in a pond? Have the aquarium shop owners ever kept them in a pond? Do they even have a pond??? The fact that someone owns a shop does not make them an expert. I can walk into many different types of businesses and be far more knowledgeable about their products than the people working there.

Ask a Question