Ornamental Goldfish? (And a fresh rap yo)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
And your point is.....?
His point is a non starter TurtleMommy a preditor will pick on the weakest fish in our ponds .
Plenty of posts about people Koi being taken by Heron etc. Maybe they should be inside too :)
And your little fish Spaz is obviously not well. I would not advocate leaving that fish outside either.
They may well take koi diesilplower but they would take fish like spaz a whole lot quicker my friend, so that argumment doesnt wash I'm afraid .
The whole point of this discussion was to make Zman see sense and not to experiment with fish that should be indoors , I note that your fancy is in a tank though eh my friend your not as daft as you seem :LOL: .
Care to put it in a pond and see how it gets along and bet on just how long it would last ?
The answer to that would be no way its a fancy it doesnt swim that fast it can suffer swim bladder problems and is easy meat for a preditor , so we now recognise it has a problem we next look into why its a problem .
Goldfish have been bred for thousands of years and in that time the Chinese have picked on every mutation they think is different and bred from them , the result of this breeding program is to basically make a mess of the fish its innards especially swimbladder ,finnage, body shape they are meant for indoors just like your own.
There are over 120 varieties all told ranging from common goldfish to fancy types some fit for ponds some not guess which group should be kept indoors ?

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I am familiar with the site you are sharing Dave, lots of info :)

I have been keeping fancy goldfish for almost 15 years now (fantail, pearscale, ryukin, oranda, lionhead, ranchu, telescope eye and bubble eye) and the only ones who I would be comfortable moving outside are the fantails. I would never mix a slow moving fancy with a common goldfish (fantails are not necessarily slow moving fish)

Just a FYI for those who dont know, not all fancy goldfish have swim bladder problems. Sometimes I feel like thats the first thing people think of when talking about the fancy breeds. Honestly the only goldies I ever had with swim bladder issues were the Ryukins.

ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
See, this is what bothers me the most -- the comment that, "I realize that some of the fish probably won't make it. Call what I'm doing an experiment."

Since when are our pets an experiment!
The koi fish that I consider pets today were literally purchased to be used in several agriscience fair experiments. My entire pond has been one big personal learning project for the FFA. I understand that this isn't how you approach your pond and the species within it but there's more than one way to do so. I'm learning as I go. This forum and you people offer great advice. Thank you. I'm not trying to start such a fight.

Reaction score
His point is a non starter TurtleMommy a preditor will pick on the weakest fish in our ponds .

They may well take koi diesilplower but they would take fish like spaz a whole lot quicker my friend, so that argumment doesnt wash I'm afraid .
The whole point of this discussion was to make Zman see sense and not to experiment with fish that should be indoors , I note that your fancy is in a tank though eh my friend your not as daft as you seem :LOL: .
Care to put it in a pond and see how it gets along and bet on just how long it would last ?
The answer to that would be no way its a fancy it doesnt swim that fast it can suffer swim bladder problems and is easy meat for a preditor , so we now recognise it has a problem we next look into why its a problem .
Goldfish have been bred for thousands of years and in that time the Chinese have picked on every mutation they think is different and bred from them , the result of this breeding program is to basically make a mess of the fish its innards especially swimbladder ,finnage, body shape they are meant for indoors just like your own.
There are over 120 varieties all told ranging from common goldfish to fancy types some fit for ponds some not guess which group should be kept indoors ?

Dave
I did say I would not put a sick fish like spaz in there. However, it does seem like that is where the fish remains?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I've kept my celestial eye goldfish outside for the last two years, My Panda oranda has been outside for a full year and she and our four year old Fantail also live with four large shubunkins and two sarasa Comets and I've not had any issues with keeping them all together and outside. I also wonder why someone would think a weak fish is more prone to attack? That might be the case if the pond was shallow and an easy access to predators. But in a deeper pond usually the weaker fish and fancy fish tend to stay more to the bottom except during feeding. So IF a predator attacked it is usually the more active fish that get taken out first, in many cases that would be the healthiest.
Last thing, The experiment comment, See, this is what bothers me the most -- the comment that, "I realize that some of the fish probably won't make it. Call what I'm doing an experiment." Since when are our pets an experiment!
Maybe not the best choice of words, But aren't we all experimenting all the time to help improve the way we keep our ponds, Our goldfish, our plants, our Koi? I just hope that in the mean time that you do think, What is best for the animals I care for. I would hope that we all take this approach as responsible pet owners.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I also think the experiment wordng is what bothers most responsible goldfish owners Larkin which is why the discussion took off interesting though it it is I think its time to lay this one to rest points have been taken y Zman

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
My watonias are about the same speed as my shubunkins that have a long flowy tail. The fastest in my pond is my short tail sarasa. The only problem I see is at spawning the sarasa is the fastest and probably will be the dad most of the time and my shubunkin/watonai wont have a chance.

ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
My watonias are about the same speed as my shubunkins that have a long flowy tail. The fastest in my pond is my short tail sarasa. The only problem I see is at spawning the sarasa is the fastest and probably will be the dad most of the time and my shubunkin/watonai wont have a chance.
I would love so watonais and waken goldfish but the simply aren't available in my area unless I order them from somewhere like Hawaii. Lotsa moolah.

Ask a Question