Otters..... #@£%!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I think that would be a GREAT idea! (the garden stakes). I had so much trouble with the herons that I bought a "fish kite" at a local store. Meant to be a yard decoration hung from a porch ceiling OR a shepherd's crook (which is what I did.) Put it by the pond - and NOTHING has come near that pond (that I know of) ever since. It even works on DEER which were coming in and eating my hostas around the pond. It flutters in the wind - has cloth "scales" of bright colors, and two BIG EYES with black centers - which is what I think really scares the herons. It is 4-5' long. Magic! (where in the world are you with otters? I love them - but have only seen one in my life that wasn't in a zoo - running along the beach in the upper Chesapeake Bay.) Cathy Raphael, Newark, DE
my deer would laugh you right outta the yard; hell, I got neighbors actively FEEDING them, you know, sort of like saying 'c'mon lil deer, c'mon over here and when you're done eating here, well looky, right across the street is your salad bar; g'wan, help yerself!' Maybe it's not the deer I should be ranting about, hey?

Sheesh! I need 24/7 patrol dogs...or something you aim and shoot (naw, can't bring myself to do that, but the idea makes me happier, especially when I survey the newest crewcut of hosta in the beds...sigh.

smilie-sword-twirl-Christmas2.gif

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think that would be a GREAT idea! (the garden stakes). I had so much trouble with the herons that I bought a "fish kite" at a local store. Meant to be a yard decoration hung from a porch ceiling OR a shepherd's crook (which is what I did.) Put it by the pond - and NOTHING has come near that pond (that I know of) ever since. It even works on DEER which were coming in and eating my hostas around the pond. It flutters in the wind - has cloth "scales" of bright colors, and two BIG EYES with black centers - which is what I think really scares the herons. It is 4-5' long. Magic! (where in the world are you with otters? I love them - but have only seen one in my life that wasn't in a zoo - running along the beach in the upper Chesapeake Bay.) Cathy Raphael, Newark, DE
I think some of the things we try to detour them may work for awhile or a long time but eventually they may figure out it won't hurt them. I have never seen any otters come around here. I've only had problems w/heron and raccoons and my tight net set up keeps them all out now so far. I'm in Washington state up north 50 miles north of Seattle. We are about 4 miles from the nearest river so I'm sure they live down there but never come up here on our hill that I know of.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I think some of the things we try to detour them may work for awhile or a long time but eventually they may figure out it won't hurt them. I have never seen any otters come around here. I've only had problems w/heron and raccoons and my tight net set up keeps them all out now so far. I'm in Washington state up north 50 miles north of Seattle. We are about 4 miles from the nearest river so I'm sure they live down there but never come up here on our hill that I know of.
pray your bears don't find you...net? net schmet--don't care 'bout no stinkin' net!

yeah, that's the conversation then, I bet!

smilie-sword-twirl-Christmas2.gif

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
pray your bears don't find you...net? net schmet--don't care 'bout no stinkin' net!

yeah, that's the conversation then, I bet!

View attachment 145333
Oh sheesh hope the bears stay away. They have so far and there are a couple that live down the road from us in the ravine. Never seen them but neighbors have and I've seen their foot prints in the snow over at the tree farm and their scat.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 10
Country
United Kingdom
Who doesn't love an Otter?
Currently, me! Had 2 in our pond midnight one Tuesday last month
Death toll initially 24, cheeky blighters were even stashing them in a "larder" under the pond bridge!
Came back following night, despite efforts to secure access point, killed 4 of the larger remaining fish, spent most of Friday covering pond in wire mesh.
Midnight checked pond, they'd pulled out a roll of wire jammed into a gap under the bridge with bricks, found one eviscerated corpse. Of approx' 50 fish all that's left, we think, are some minnows........ Pissed Off don't come closeView attachment 144682View attachment 144683
Thought it time for an update :)
We actually have survivors! Seen at least 4 littluns, hard to spot with all the "foliage" , biggest about 2" long.
Our "visitors" have not returned, was nowt worth chasing I guess, but
Who doesn't love an Otter?
Currently, me! Had 2 in our pond midnight one Tuesday last month
Death toll initially 24, cheeky blighters were even stashing them in a "larder" under the pond bridge!
Came back following night, despite efforts to secure access point, killed 4 of the larger remaining fish, spent most of Friday covering pond in wire mesh.
Midnight checked pond, they'd pulled out a roll of wire jammed into a gap under the bridge with bricks, found one eviscerated corpse. Of approx' 50 fish all that's left, we think, are some minnows........ Pissed Off don't come closeView attachment 144682View attachment 144683

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 10
Country
United Kingdom
Thought you might like an update, we have survivors! At least 4 littluns biggest now approx' 2". (plus obligatory hatching frog spawn).
Since pump packed up last nov/Dec no return visitors, suspect the sound of running water's what attracted them originally. Now weather's improving will repair or replace pump. Wire "cover" looked bloody awful so stored away for now. To be continued.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 10
Country
United Kingdom
Guess I better put the "anti-heron" lines back in place, old pump was at least 12yrs old, so knackered, was a HAILEA S-series and on for 24/7 so quite impressive but current versions a bit pricey.
Replacement is an AllPondsSolutions 3000 L/H which seems to have good reviews. Going to backflush the pipe grid under the gravel/peashingle filter bed before fitting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 10
Country
United Kingdom
Breaking News!..... not really :-(
About 3 weeks after installing new pump & refilling my string bag of barley straw, pond clear as crystal and the most prolific display of flowering water lilies we'd ever had....... Suddenly we realised no fish, or frogs!
There was no disturbance, last time the otters had trashed the pond plants, and no sign of a heron. Even the tiniest fish,no sign. Pretty sure it was a grass snake, seen them before here and with the lilie pads filling the pond surface not easily spotted.
Ah! So glad to be "contributing" to The Circle of Life, compost heap for me when I kick the bucket ; -)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
These snake stories are weirding me out. I admire snakes, find them useful and even beautiful in their own way... just not a bunch of them and definitely not a surprise discovery!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 10
Country
United Kingdom
Yep, was DEFINITELY a grass snake 🙁oh well, guess it saved us being over run with frogs..... "Always look on the bright side of life🎼🎶"

Attachments

• IMG_20230612_132955.jpg
    IMG_20230612_132955.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 11

Ask a Question