Over-cleaned pond? - fish slow and not eating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Again, thanks everyone!

One thing I forgot to mention - when I cleaned the pond there were approximately 15+ frogs in there (likely adding substantially to the waste). Last year I couldn't do any water maintenance at all as the ENTIRE pond was filled with frogspawn.

When I cleaned it last week I first used a string algae tool before emptying the water (basically curly metal twists on the end of a pole), but it only got about a third off.
I think due to previous years poor maintenance, the algae had completely embedded itself to the walls of the pond, and the only way to get it off (short of shaving it off), was to pressure wash all the carpet moss off with it.

Happy to give it a go leaving as is and see how things develop. Muck build up on the bottom has always been a concern as it gets quite dense on the floor and really hard to see whats going on, and especially the smaller fish don't seem at all afraid of the pond vac (a couple went for a ride but I managed to save them).
But maybe more regular maintenance now (cleaning the bottom before it gets in such a bad state), and algae control (taking off the string algae more often), will be enough to improve the appearance?

Planting directly on the shelf is interesting, but how easy is it to do limiting the amount of soil leaching out - the plants I just bought were potted in aquatic soil/clay mix. I wanted to replant in gravel only, but the roots were so embedded in the soil, I ended up re-potting in old tights/stockings to control the soil coming out. and put a handful of gravel on top. This seems to have worked, but not sure how I would remove all soil when trying to plant directly on shelf with just stones and gravel?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I pretty much just shake the dirt off the plant roots before putting them in gravel planting beds in the pond. I don’t really try to get them spotless. If the roots are all pot bound just work your hand in there and pull the clay soil mix off. If some of the roots come with it so be it, the plants will recover.

Keep in mind too with the goldfish not eating the food you toss in, many on here that have goldfish don’t feed them hardly or at all. In an established pond there is plenty of food to sustain goldfish. I have a mixture of koi, orfes, goldfish, and catfish, I tend to feed them a few times a week at most. If I had strictly goldfish probably wouldn’t feed them at all either.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good to hear the 'non-eating' may not be such a cause for concern.

Any recommendations on plants which do well on the shelf in gravel, or will most do OK (and do these need to be submerged)?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Like @Jhn said, I don't worry too much about the dirt around the plant. One thing I've noticed with naturalizing plants in the pond is that the roots of the plant will eventually collect dirt and form an actual rootball all on their own.

Literally any marginal plant that you can grow in a pot will do well growing in gravel out of the pot. When I first started planting directly in the pond, I would use rocks to form "pockets" by placing them in a ring of sorts so I could fill the center with gravel. This is more of an art than a science - use as many or as few rocks as you think you need. You aren't trying to contain the plant permanently with the rocks - just give it support and provide something to hold the gravel in place. Then plop the plant into the spot, add more gravel or even a few small rocks to stabilize it, and let it grow.

One thing to consider is the preferred depth for the plants. Some plants like their crown to be 2-4 inches under the water, while others can be completely submerged and will grow from 12 or more inches under water. Check the plant tags for the recommended depth. If they want to be planted in shallower water, just build your gravel up higher or ever put a rock in the center of your "pocket" to lift the whole plant up higher. Again - no science here. Just figure out ways to give them support until they get started and they will do great.

My only warning would be once you allow a plant to grow directly in the pond, getting it OUT of the pond in the future will be much more challenging. You will need to watch them as they grow and decide how big you want to let them get. Just like any garden, plants in the pond will take over if you let them! Some plants are much more aggressive than others and some will even seed themselves in other places around your pond. Don't turn your back is all I'm saying!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Like @Jhn said, I don't worry too much about the dirt around the plant. One thing I've noticed with naturalizing plants in the pond is that the roots of the plant will eventually collect dirt and form an actual rootball all on their own.

Literally any marginal plant that you can grow in a pot will do well growing in gravel out of the pot. When I first started planting directly in the pond, I would use rocks to form "pockets" by placing them in a ring of sorts so I could fill the center with gravel. This is more of an art than a science - use as many or as few rocks as you think you need. You aren't trying to contain the plant permanently with the rocks - just give it support and provide something to hold the gravel in place. Then plop the plant into the spot, add more gravel or even a few small rocks to stabilize it, and let it grow.

One thing to consider is the preferred depth for the plants. Some plants like their crown to be 2-4 inches under the water, while others can be completely submerged and will grow from 12 or more inches under water. Check the plant tags for the recommended depth. If they want to be planted in shallower water, just build your gravel up higher or ever put a rock in the center of your "pocket" to lift the whole plant up higher. Again - no science here. Just figure out ways to give them support until they get started and they will do great.

My only warning would be once you allow a plant to grow directly in the pond, getting it OUT of the pond in the future will be much more challenging. You will need to watch them as they grow and decide how big you want to let them get. Just like any garden, plants in the pond will take over if you let them! Some plants are much more aggressive than others and some will even seed themselves in other places around your pond. Don't turn your back is all I'm saying!
This is exactly what I do & all of Lisak1's advice is spot on! Especially the 'warning'. Most pond plants have a tendency to get carried away with their own sense of importance, and if you plant directly in the pond gravel, do not be hesitant to pull, yank, cut, etc... Sometimes to the point of pretending to try to get rid of something completely - then you'll probably end up with just enough!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Wish my bog plants would take off. They are slow this year as we still can get some nights that get to 2 c. The best growing plant right now is the string algae. Water tests are all good but the string algae is getting bad enough that once a week I get the brush out. All of the purchased plants from last year did not return. The local plants from the ponds and streams are doing well, cat tail and grasses Had some pickle rush that did not survive yet I have seen it in other ponds not far from me. I added 8 Calalillys that are blooming well.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They may still be alive and it may be that the water is not warm enough for them to show themselves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Warning to anyone thinking of buying pond equal iser , I bought it put it in my pond and ended up with a thick powder covering the bottom of my pond and rocks , I was advised to leave it and it will disappear, it didn’t , I had to empty my pond and start over again

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Warning to anyone thinking of buying pond equal iser , I bought it put it in my pond and ended up with a thick powder covering the bottom of my pond and rocks , I was advised to leave it and it will disappear, it didn’t , I had to empty my pond and start over again
No idea what that is.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick update - haven't fed the fish at all since cleaning about 10 days ago, and did a 10& water change two days ago to clear the remaining white film from all rocks, plants, filter...

Today I've noticed the small fish swim to the top an poke around outside the water, as have some of the bigger fish.

Dropped a small handful of food in, and eventually, some did attempt to eat it.

One fish definitely took a whole piece in, swam to the surface, looked me straight in the eye and spat it out! :)

Left the food in for around 30 minutes, and probably two thirds got eaten by the time I returned.

I don't think they are particularly fond of their new diet, so might try some smaller pellets (these ones are multi-coloured about 10mm long), but am pretty certain they had been surviving on algae instead of their food, as they are constantly searching the walls for what I assume is their regular meal.

Ask a Question