Parrot Feather

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
This is the first year I had potted two pots of parrot feather and placed them at oposite ends of my pond. It spread quite well and far creating cover for the fish and frogs. I remember someone posting a comment on how intrusive parrot feather is, but I had no idea.

I started to do some thinning of a few plants today. I found that the parrot feather had creeped into every other potted plant and set roots quite deep. It was like all of the potted bog plants were bonded together into one big mass. It took me awhile to remove all of the parrot feather. I'm sure there is some roots left in the rest of the bog plant pots. If I plant any parrot feather next spring, it will have to be at one end of the pond by itself.

Anyone else have problems with parrot feather taking over?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I had some penny wort go wild like that it got out of the pond..
Horsetail rush ..is hard to stop also if it gets out of the water

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I planted Hyssop along with mine and the Hyssop choked it all out. I had to replant them on seperate ends of my pond to have both. I have mine in water not dirt.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
i had horsetail rush in a pot ...and the roots went down through the pot into the liner was ok till i tried to pull the pot out and then left holes in my old liner !!.... that was when we were making my pond bigger and needed to lift everything out, mind you i must add it was a thin liner,, but i never lost any water so i guess it kind of sealed round the holes

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I have come to the conclusion that next spring I won't plant any parrot feather and water hyacinths in my pond. Those are the two plants that the resident frogs hide the most, yet they create to much of a problem in maintaining the pond. I'll have to come up with some other plants that will create places for them to hide in and around my pond.

Ask a Question