Anarcharis or Parrots Feather?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I'm going to get some oxygenator plants for fish pond.
Options are Anarcharis or Parrots Feather but I'm not able to decide any one of them because both are used widely in ponds.
So I want to know what do you think

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm going to get some oxygenator plants for fish pond.
Options are Anarcharis or Parrots Feather but I'm not able to decide any one of them because both are used widely in ponds.
So I want to know what do you think
I like both. Anarcharis tends to sink down and looks like wavy seaweed. PF prefers to stay on top of the water, even if it's planted. Be aware, though, that the stem part of PF that is under water [if you plant it] will be scraggly -- it fluffs out on the surface. Both are pretty, give the fish places to hide, and can help with shade [to some degree].

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I like both. Anarcharis tends to sink down and looks like wavy seaweed. PF prefers to stay on top of the water, even if it's planted. Be aware, though, that the stem part of PF that is under water [if you plant it] will be scraggly -- it fluffs out on the surface. Both are pretty, give the fish places to hide, and can help with shade [to some degree].

I'm with her......get both!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
some Anacharis for the bottom and the Parrots feather for the top. I stick it in between my rocks in my pond to keep it in place.
IMG_7470.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Okay I chose both...but for PF I'm afraid of mosquito larvae. When PF spread emersed on surface those larvae will hide in. Otherwise they are good and will also help hiding some exposed liner.
But larvae, what about that?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If there are larvae, hungry fish will find them. Your plants may suffer in the process, though as fish will eat the plants, too.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Unless your mosquitos are different over there..... Most mosquitos won't lay their eggs in moving water. They prefer still, stagnant water like when you leave something out in the yard and it gets water in it. And the fish WILL find and eat just about anything that floats, even if it gets up in your plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
@Lisak1
@Mmathis

That sounds great. I try and see how that works.

Right my fishes are busy in cleaning the pond liner Lol..They're munching on those tiny bloodworm hiding under algae/dirt.
They eat the worms along with the algae/dirt they're hiding in, then spit that dirt out after swallowing the worms (if I'm not wrong)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a fishless pond covered with pf, no mosquitoes.

Ask a Question