Patio pond, insulation?

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I've decided to DIY a mini patio pond of maybe 75-100 gallons for the babies I'm keeping. I have all the materials already to make a wooden box, line it, etc. I'm thinking about putting some kind of insulation in between the outside and the liner to help in the cooler months. What should I use? Foam sheets? Something you'd use on a home?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Fiberglass would most likely crush and be ineffective.

No amount of insulation on the sides of the pond will help given the fact that the entire surface is exposed if the cold temperature is prolonged. I suppose it could be effective at mitigating overnight dips.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
First question is where are you how cold and for how long. A small pond of 75 gallons in new england is bond to freeze over unless you throw a lot of air at it or keep it heated

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm in lower Tennessee. It doesn't get very cold here. Like 3 months of cool weather usually 50s (Farenheit) may dip down below freezing a couple times but usually just overnight. Will be on my covered back porch.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Are your babies goldfish? I have personally done what you are discussing and the biggest challenge is keeping good water quality as the fish grow. If they are goldfish, just be prepared to rehome a bunch of them as they mature.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just curious, is your patio a raised deck or on-ground concrete/rock pad? Given where you live, I wouldn't worry about insulating the patio pond since you have goldfish and there is no need to heat the pond. Just make sure the surface does not completely freeze over and your fish will be fine. For those rare, really cold days you can use any number of methods to keep a hole if ice forms. Aeration, pond heater etc. The most difficult challenge is maintaining good water quality with four + 1/2 :) goldfish in 75 to 100 gallons of water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's on a raised deck. I have a bubbler I can use if it does get freezy to keep it open. These guys are like the runts, they're all much smaller than their siblings so I'm hoping that will help on water quality for a while. But I also watch them much closer than the pond and I don't mind to treat it more like a tank doing water changes and stuff.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That is nice you are caring for the fry. No doubt, they will enjoy the attention! Let us know if you need any help. Sounds like you are on a good track.

Ask a Question