pea gravel bog from scraps

Reaction score
Don't know, I have never built one before. I would think it takes more pressure to push through the gravel at first but once the flow is established from top to bottom it would equalize. I could be wrong, anyone else?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
taherrmann4 said:
Once you add all the pea gravel and plants will this slow down your water flow thus reducing the amount of water that will flow over the weir?

No not really. The best way to make a bog is to have the gravel higher than the water gets. Here is a current picture of mine, the liner is showing, the water too low right now lol. But we were working on the plumbing. The liner in the bog was nicely hidden, I had to pull it up as the water was higher than I thought it would be with the waterfall rock.

Just installed the waterfall rock, now need to add more pea gravel, as you can see there is water higher than the gravel. To have the best filtration you want the water to have to work to get through it. Mine is coming from the bottom, the gravel is around 2.5 feet deep. Some of the plants in there have some real nice roots going, some are just starting to grow.

The pump pushing is only 3500 gph, the bog is around 2500 gallons. We have 28 feet of piping, two rows, running under the gravel.

Attachments

• DSC01089.jpg
    DSC01089.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 371

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Addy, your bog looks so nice. I wish I could make one like that but the situation just isn't right for where it's located. Maybe my next one, lol!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A work in progress, never did get it done last year. i want to support the liner wall of the bog a little better, a critter (deer, raccoon) could step on it and the pond water would go bye bye. Now that we know the height the water will be at I can modify the edge. Darn slope made the level water look unlevel lol.

Love my bog lol, the cardinal flowers, pitcher plants, lilies and all else I put in there are growing great. Most were bare root starters last fall.

I left extra liner folded over and buried just in case of the water being high. We used a laser level to get it as level as it was and the right height, that was a real job.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I think thats the first time I have seen a bog and working at that .great job addy interesting too as I may try that at the other property and went there today and did not know there was a natural stream running through the property and it has several small water falls too .Next time stupid me has to remember to take batteries for the camera as the ones in there were dead and then I turned the wrong way coming out of the driveway and got lost .Think I will put a sign up at the top of the driveway ,that says that way dummy with a big arrow on it

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Leave bread crumbs sissy! neat about the natural creek, previous hubby and i built a pond in a natural mountain stream, clean fresh water all the time. But sediment does build up after awhile

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I need to get new cord for gps as other one broke off at the end .I took the people who will be renting it to take a look at the place and then had to go to the title insurance company and I was late because I got lost

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Sorry I'm late to the thread, but creeping jenny (also known as moneywort) works VERY well around ponds. I use the golden variety, love the bright yellow leaves. The stuff takes off quickly, can survive the constant trampling underfoot, and it retains a lot of moisture underneath it, so I have strawberry plants mixed in that have grown like crazy.

My plants grow right over the edge down into the pond, so its worked great at hiding the edge of the plastic liner. I also notice that that part of the plants that are in the water seem to stay green all Winter, and are pretty resistant to being frozen in the ice for a week or two. I just love the stuff, and have considered it an essential part of the landscaping around the new pond.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I went to hd they don't have it out yet, it is on my list of get plants this year.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I was looking at the money wort in hd and notice there were 2 kinds 1 had a dark leaf and the other a yellowish green leaf that would make a great mix .I guess I will have to go back and get some .I just got 7 tubs of Iris tubers to plant for free from a neighbor who was moving out and said whatever I want take it since the house is going to be torn down and all the plants the new owner wants out .I saw the new owners asked and they said help yourself I DID

Reaction score
now that I have the bog filter how is the best way to attach the liner so it won't leak?

Reaction score
Yes. Got the box, got the pond, now get the water to overflow out of the box into the pond, I guess like a waterfall weir.?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There are lots of ways to do that, a waterfall weir would work. My pond and bog are all one piece of liner.

have the edge of the bog over the edge of the pond with it tipped towards the pond, it would spill into the pond.

Ask a Question