PEA GRAVEL FOR A BOG ..... DIFFERENT SIZES?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I assumed that pea gravel was pea gravel was pea gravel. It comes in different SIZES?

I never thought about it before.

What size is best for a bog?

Is the bagged stuff from HOME DEPOT & LOWES OK? There are lots of different sized particles in that mix, and looking at mine, I can't help but think that it's too small. I'm only working on my new "turtle bog" now, but want to be absolutely sure before I start construction on the main bog!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
We have a landscape company near by. If you have something like this, you can go in person to look at the various sized gravels. We bring a large container and fill it up there, as it's cheaper….they just weigh the whole car without the gravel…then with the gravel:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I know, right! I was so confused about the size. One place I read that I should use a specific size but I couldnt find any indication of what size the pea gravels sold at home depot are, but it's the smallest so I got those... still big though, more like big peas/ giant peas.. but my plants are fine and the water is flowing fine so I guess it's fine for me.

Reaction score
The HD pea gravel is fine. You can probably get it cheaper at a stone/gravel yard. Just don't make the mistake I did and get pea-gravel sized granite chips. It packs.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had mine delivered, needed way to much to buy by the bag. Did buy some hd stuff it was the same size.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
When we get the main bog finished, we'll have it delivered as there's no way to deal with that many HOME DEPOT bags, LOL! But I also have a smaller bog coming along [for my box turtles -- it will connect with the pond also] and I have the "store" pea gravel in it. Was just wondering since the sizes are so varied. Seems like the smaller particulate is settling to the bottom and making a slurry....

Reaction score
Would you mind posting a picture of your bog that you connected to your pond? I'm thinking of creating a bog off of our pond for turtles and other amphibians/bog plants. Sounds like a great idea.

Ask a Question