Pellets or flakes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
Canada
I expect this has been discussed before but in my search, I couldn’t find any information. I have two young koi and a number of goldfish in my indoor winter pond. Some of the goldfish are small and some are large. Everybody is getting along great and thriving! Presently I feed strictly goldfish flakes but will need to buy food in the near future. Should I be switching to pellets? Do all pellets float as long as they are eaten within five minutes?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think you can choose either one. If they fish eat it, that's all that really matters.

I'm a little concerned about koi in an indoor "pond". Hopefully you have an adequate volume of water and great filtration to support the bioload.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I found that pellet firm works fine, the smaller ones nibble the sides, but if they are just too small, try breaking a few, just crush a handful together in your hands or something to break a dust off the sides of them. That gives fry and small ( under three or four inches) a chance to nibble the broken bits a dust while the bigger ones eat the pellets.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
Canada
I think you can choose either one. If they fish eat it, that's all that really matters.

I'm a little concerned about koi in an indoor "pond". Hopefully you have an adequate volume of water and great filtration to support the bioload.
Absolutely have great environment for them. They are doing awesome -frequent water changes, lots of biofiltration and aeration. Also checking water quality parameters regularly. First year with koi in the indoor pond and I am VERY pleased with how they are doing. They are small this year (was their first year in the outdoor pond). Next winter may be more of a challenge but will be doing my darnedest to give them their best chance. I am a Type A OCD type!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Please share pics of your indoor pond. I’m very interested. My dream is to expand mine and make it a permanent fixture in the sunroom once we get all the ( very slow) remodeling done, but I’m interested in tropical fish inside instead of goldfish/koi, though I may raise up fry in there too. Depending on what fish I end up keeping in my pond!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
Canada
Sorry for the delay on posting the photos. The pond is in the basement and is there just for the fish to overwinter and not fancy but it does the job! I would send a video but it doesn’t appear to be an option here. If you want one, you can send me a message with your email address.

Attachments

• 5E3D3217-C8EE-4616-9E8A-06349F21381A.jpeg
    5E3D3217-C8EE-4616-9E8A-06349F21381A.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 55

Ask a Question