Permits?

Reaction score
Hi all-

I'm new (obviously). I've kept fish, snails, and aquatic plants for about five years now and have always wanted to get into the pond side of things.

One thing I can't find the answer to, however, is do you need a permit? I know this varies from place to place (I'm in Seattle, if that helps). I don't know what agency even governs such things so I'm not sure who to contact about it. I've heard various places that some ponds need to be fenced, some need a permit if they're over a certain number of gallons, if you need to run a new electrical line to them, etc. Does anybody know where I can find this information?

Thank you in advance!
Gretchen

brads

Oldbie
Reaction score
Here in Spokane (howdy neighbor!) I'd have to go to the city Building and Code Enforcements Dept. and ask at the "Building Permits" counter as to what I have to do exactly. I'm not sure if it's the same in Seattle but it's probably similar. note: It's been my observation that nobody usually cares what people do in their backyards. So, if you're handy and put a pond in yourself (unless of course you planning on something the size of Niagara Falls) I doubt that the city will say anything or even notice for that matter. That's what I did. There's another reason to avoid city permits and stuff if you can. (assuming you can do everything and do it safely) they will make you conform to the very latest codes and regs. (which may mean hiring a contractor/electrician/whatever) for something that may be no more then a pond kit you paid $100 dollars for at your local hardware store and can run off a good water proof extension cord. Unless of course you are planning on putting Niagara Falls in... and if that's the case I want to be at the opening ceremonies. Pleeeezzzzz.

Hope this helps and you get the pond of your dreams. Cheers! :icon_smile:

Reaction score
Wonderful, thank you. And as amazing as Niagara Falls would look in my backyard.. that pond kit is more along the lines of my plan. Thanks again!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WarnerBirm

Latest Threads