sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
hey malak welcome back I know you been hiding scared of me LOL pop .We have fish at the shelter in Danville and all kinds of birds .People can't afford to feed them so they turn them in .The have snakes ,lizards ,iquanas ,and just about every kind of bird .I just picked up 6 koi from them they needed to get rid of thursday and I know the lady there .So now the reside at the pond at the other house .They were to big for the shelter to handle and they did not know what to do with them .All of my dogs have been from the shelter except for pee wee

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yep in a recession all suffer, people and animals.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I'm a vegetarian and have been all my life and had cats and dogs and most of them have loved there veggies I give them and right now I have a pit bull and chihuahua and the pit bull was a rescue and not sure of his age I got him last year before I got my chihuahua and I was concerned how Arthur would be with the chihuahua but to my amazement he is very protective of his little bro .His little bro is the boss also .I think right now with the economy more people are abandoning all kinds of animals because of loss of jobs and homes .I will see people who want the cute little puppy and then comes the realization that puppy grows up and can be a handfull .

pinon ponder

S'cuse me, while I kiss the sky!
Reaction score
Darn you just destroyed all their dreams of millions of perfect women roaming the streets of california!

LOL! Let me be an equal opportunity dream destroyer - most of the men don't look like Brad Pitt, either. But we're generally a friendly bunch so come on out any time. :moped:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
LOL! Let me be an equal opportunity dream destroyer - most of the men don't look like Brad Pitt, either. But we're generally a friendly bunch so come on out any time. :moped:

I lived in arizona for years, have visited california many times, did my rescue diving off of catalina island in january, talk about COLD!

Always enjoyed san francisco, san diego, not too much la

pinon ponder

Reaction score
I must say I love all the animal rescue stories. We always do the rescue thing, too. I wish I could bring them all home.

I lived in arizona for years, have visited california many times, did my rescue diving off of catalina island in january, talk about COLD!

Always enjoyed san francisco, san diego, not too much la

Cool! Yeah, Catalina waters are usually on the cool side. Much nicer in summer. San Francisco is much nicer in late fall or early winter. And San Diego is perfect most of the year. Then there are all the beautiful national parks and our gorgeous Sierra Nevada mountains. I could move to one of the small gold country towns in a heartbeat.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
JenH: "And I really can't speak for anything in California. I've never even been close to there for a visit. "

Thank you for adding that to your posts. :) I'm a native Californian and believe me the things you see on tv and those who want these types of laws passed do not represent most of the 36 MILLION people who live here. I don't want to start anything either but I really get tired of blanket condemnations of me and my fellow Californians, especially by folks who have never lived here. I've been all over this country and I can assure you most of us are hard working, tax paying, family loving, helpful to our neighbors folks, just like the rest of you. Oh, and most of us women don't have fake boobs and botox injections, either. :D

Your welcome :) I really do try not to generalize groups of people or spread stereotypes as fact. Which is why I only quoted the article and summary of actual statistics. I would think that the majority there are just like everyone else (normal, LOL)

pinon ponder

Reaction score
Your welcome :) I really do try not to generalize groups of people or spread stereotypes as fact. Which is why I only quoted the article and summary of actual statistics. I would think that the majority there are just like everyone else (normal, LOL)

Yep. We're all just trying to do the best we can in these tough times. And I think we all do our fair share of generalizing at times. I know I've been guilty of it on occasion although it is something I strive not to do. Now we won't discuss some of my other bad habits, like being a rose and fabric - oholic. :razz:

I see you are from Indiana. My son lives there. He married an Indiana girl 11 years ago and moved there so she wouldn't have to leave her family. They gave me two sweet grandsons. But things aren't going so good now. While he's been working 10 hour Saturdays to make ends meet, she's been going out with her boss, leaving the boys with friends or relatives. Sad.

Reaction score
What Pinon? All us Californian's don't surf everyday and party everynight? And, don't tell my hubby he doesnt look like Brad Pitt. LOL Of course, I look like every movie star, NOT~! Yep, we're just hangin' on like everyone else. Our weather in the SF bay area has been weird this year. Not much summer yet for the South Bay :-(

Sissy, gotta ask, do you feed your pets on a veggie diet? (sorry if this is not the spot to ask)

As far as SF banning the sale of pet fish, well, they are on the forefront of many radical ideas, some of them good, some of them practical, but, at least they get people thinking. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
pinon, sorry about the situation with your son. Hopefully they will work it out so their kids are ok.
jas2Cats, Maybe you have a point. I think none of us are too happy about feeders. When we give extra fish away no one wants to give them to someone to feed their cichlid. Would the world be better off if there weren't feeder goldfish? Also if someone wanted a fish they could get someone else's reject or excess fish instead of them ending up in a baggy of water in the freezer.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I must say I love all the animal rescue stories. We always do the rescue thing, too. I wish I could bring them all home.

Cool! Yeah, Catalina waters are usually on the cool side. Much nicer in summer. San Francisco is much nicer in late fall or early winter. And San Diego is perfect most of the year. Then there are all the beautiful national parks and our gorgeous Sierra Nevada mountains. I could move to one of the small gold country towns in a heartbeat.

Loved diving the kelp forest though, how beautiful! Had to make sure you had a good knife with you, and a good dive buddy, a lot of fishing line tangled up down there, so easy to get snagged by it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Yep. We're all just trying to do the best we can in these tough times. And I think we all do our fair share of generalizing at times. I know I've been guilty of it on occasion although it is something I strive not to do. Now we won't discuss some of my other bad habits, like being a rose and fabric - oholic. :razz:

I see you are from Indiana. My son lives there. He married an Indiana girl 11 years ago and moved there so she wouldn't have to leave her family. They gave me two sweet grandsons. But things aren't going so good now. While he's been working 10 hour Saturdays to make ends meet, she's been going out with her boss, leaving the boys with friends or relatives. Sad.

Sorry to hear things aren't going well for your son. I can't imagine being so far from family during hard times. I'm in Fort Wayne (NE indiana) My husband and I are kinda similar minus the me going out part. He was here playing hockey when I met him. He's from Edmonton, Alberta (CAN) He had pretty much always been away from his family when I met him and I never have really. So we stay here. Plus I have a daughter (Sara), she's 14, from a previous marriage. Can't really move her away. We have 2.5 yr old twin boys (Alex & Preston) and I stay home with them for the most part. But I have a couple things on the side, that are going pretty slow right now. I sell lia sophia jewelry, and decorate/cater weddings. It's hard taking care of a family of 5 with only 1 income, but those 2 things always seem to pull us through really rough patches. And get me outta the house from time to time so I don't lose my mind! LOL. My husband retired from hockey a year ago and now he works long days too, from 6am to between 4-7pm, M-F. And he's normally in bed around 8:30 with the boys, so we don't spend a lot of downtime together until the weekend. It's been a difficult adjustment.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Jen Sorry how difficult it has been. It has been tough on a lot of us. It's amazing how you find ways to make your dollar stretch when you don't have that many of them. It took a big attitude adjustment for us to live on less after the housing market crashed and wrecked the homebuilding industry which I was a part of. My pond is the perfect hobby because of it's low cost. We recently figured out how to go on vacation using all the miles we saved up with very little cash outlay. It takes more time to figure these things out but it beats spending money you don't have!

Ask a Question