PH level

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Ok I know a ponds ph should be around 7 to 7.5 (I think) and mine is almost 8.5...sooo what is a good way to bring it back down? (now I know why some of my plants in the water are so light colored) Some one once said vinegar but how much?? or what to use?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Most of my ponds stay around 8-8.2. I have a very large assotment of different plants and the only thing I have turning yellow is my Thalia,(because it's over crowded and the heat) the other is my water lettuce that is in with the Koi. They eat the roots down and they yellow afterwards. Thy ones that aren't where the koi are are doing just fine in the same exact water.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Agree with fishin, I would leave it be. Your signature says new pond, yours may not have enough nutrients to keep the green. Need fish poo to help the plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My pond is now 4 1/2 months old, the dark algea that was on the rocks on the waterfall seems to be "cleaning up", I have taro, water hyacinths, lily, cork screw, a grass and a couple other plants I cant think of their names inside the water. They all seem to be doing really well, yet the black taro in the water (in lava rock) is real light green and growing like a weed. I have 5 goldfish bout 5" (who eat well) who seem to thrive in this ponds water and my water is always crystal clear. Guess I'll just live with a few light colored plants and higher ph lol.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
oh and my new water hyacinths are doing great...they are in a ring cage I made cuz the other ones I had my goldfish were eating the roots! stinkers can't get to them now! I swear everytime my fish see me they think they want food too. And they are getting fat now!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Neat rebel, sounds like everything is going good. My goldies ignore the hyacinths. The ones on the edge of my rope corral are yellowish, the ones in the center are dark green and just starting to bloom. Same water same location.........go figure

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Don't have any hyacinth but I did notice that the the ring I made for the Watercress w/ roots sticking out the bottom was bopping around like mad yesterday. Little bugger goldies are eating them. Oh well it's cheap enough and did find some growing in a ditch on my walk w/ NO COWS AROUND so I picked them and brought them home and tucked them between the rocks. It is a different kind then I got at the grocery store. The ones from the store are long and slender leaved and the ditch ones are round but same white tiny blooms.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
One of these days I will remember to get some water cress.............
I do have a ton of hyacinths the stuff is growing like mad.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My watercress is really starting to look rough, lots of roots but the tops seem to be taking a beating during this hot weather.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
remember watercress that is not snipped often and has a life span .I grow watercress to put it in my salad and it is fine because i snip the tops off a lot and the heat has not effected them at all .I don't grow it in my pond though and I know if I over water it ,it starts to look sad too

Ask a Question