pH meter tester ... what to use and what to stay away from ?!

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Oh man, GRRR!!! :grumble:

I do my pH testing daily with my electronic meter, properly store it in storage solution, recalibrate it every 2 days, and never did anything stupid to damage the diodes. Also, at least once a week, I test the pH with API drops and a dropping reagant from a generic brand. I do not touch the lip of test tube nor the inside of the cap and I always wash the tubes out with di-RO water after every use. So, I know what's going on here.

Went out to do my testing and all of a sudden the electronic tester is registering .8 points high. What ... the ... hell ... So, I did my other 2 tests from the 2 other different brands and they performed as expected. I have been using an Oakton eco tester and apparently it just crapped out on me after just a month of using it. So, I did a bit of research on the Oakton. Apparently, ya get what ya pay for ... so aggravating.

I am told the continuous read meters tend to be more accurate, last longer, than the dip-and-test meters and Hanna makes a continuous meter that is around 100 bucks.

Drops are fine when I want to spend the time to do them, but the entire matching to a color paper chart thingy really bugs me.

Any recommendations on a electronic pH meter ?? :)

Reaction score
sorry to hear that and even though inexpensive you would expect at least a season of use before that happened... i know addy and i think pecan use them am sure they will or whoever else uses one will chime in with the brand and price range they have

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Welp, I am going for the Milwaukee pH56 ... it's a step above the pH55 that addy linked that does a .05 +/- precision

Thanks! welp, gonna hope for the best.

Ask a Question