Photo of the month club...

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I think that the real issue is not being addressed here.
--If this is photography contest, Fine!
--If this is a chance for members to showcase various aspects of their own ponds, Fine!
--If this is a contest to determine who can find the most stunning photo on the internet, Fine!

BUT, whatever it is, it should have clearly defined rules or guidelines. If these already exist, I could not find them anywhere on this Forum site. If they do not then they need to be developed.
From the first day that I joined this group, it was my understanding (obviously a misunderstanding) that entries in the photo contest were of members own personal ponds. Now I find that this is not necessarily true.
I personally will abstain from submission of any future entries until clear rules or guidelines are published.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
I think that the real issue is not being addressed here.
--If this is photography contest, Fine!
--If this is a chance for members to showcase various aspects of their own ponds, Fine!
--If this is a contest to determine who can find the most stunning photo on the internet, Fine!

BUT, whatever it is, it should have clearly defined rules or guidelines. If these already exist, I could not find them anywhere on this Forum site. If they do not then they need to be developed.
From the first day that I joined this group, it was my understanding (obviously a misunderstanding) that entries in the photo contest were of members own personal ponds. Now I find that this is not necessarily true.
I personally will abstain from submission of any future entries until clear rules or guidelines are published.

Amen

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
I respectfully take exception to your comments regarding RobAmy's entry. RobAmy has a history of sharing stunning photographs. Photographs which clearly illustrate great talent. GPF benefits from RobAmy's generosity in that such photographs are both a feast for the eyes and promote the hobby of ponding.

Please let us all continue in peace and brotherhood.

Well Big Lou Im sorry you feel that way...this thread wasn't about the contributions that RobAmy has made to the forum. This thread is exactly about what Meyer Jordan said in his post. Again, RobAmy's screen name was only used to point out what picture I was talking about. It seems as though certain people on here would have liked me to take the coward approach by beating around the bush on what pic I was referring to or contacting the Admin...both which I would do not. Im not that type of person. If I have a question about something or I feel something isn't right I will address it as a man and to the entire group. Its about time men in this world reach down and find the pineapples in their garden and women start exercising their rights by speaking up and not being scared. Nothing gets accomplished by sitting in a circle singing kumbaya and making believe everythings perfect...

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It wasnt a personal attack. It was my opinion and I used a name to identify a pic that was
submitted

I think the reason the topic got slightly heated is because we all know RobAmy and we know they didn't "find a picture on the internet and post it", and everyone just wanted to be there to defend them. They're a great member in this tight-knit community. They participate a lot, including their wildlife and pond photography, which is incredible! I can understand how it might seem like they took a photo from the internet, because they are just that good at photography! :)

As for it being not their pond, it goes back to what I said earlier. There are probably different opinions on it, but most of us here are fans of water in general, whether it's our own ponds or a naturally existing water feature. It's absolutely ok to have a different opinion, no big deal. Let's just keep the friendliness going! This is a great forum with a one of the friendliest atmospheres on the internet. By the way, @Jersey_Marine, your photo entry is fantastic! (y)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
I think the reason the topic got slightly heated is because we all know RobAmy and we know they didn't "find a picture on the internet and post it", and everyone just wanted to be there to defend them. They're a great member in this tight-knit community. They participate a lot, including their wildlife and pond photography, which is incredible! I can understand how it might seem like they took a photo from the internet, because they are just that good at photography! :)

As for it being not their pond, it goes back to what I said earlier. There are probably different opinions on it, but most of us here are fans of water in general, whether it's our own ponds or a naturally existing water feature. It's absolutely ok to have a different opinion, no big deal. Let's just keep the friendliness going! This is a great forum with a one of the friendliest atmospheres on the internet. By the way, @Jersey_Marine, your photo entry is fantastic! (y)

Are you still convinced the Niagra Falls entry isn't a highly modified photograph or a painting? Again. Nobody was personally attacking RobAmy. The thread was started because a reasonable person would believe the photo of the month contest would have to be taken from your own personal pond! Evidently thats not the case and a few of us are just looking for clarification on what the rules are. Any other rules rather than pics have to be taken in your own person garden pond would make the contest cheap. Just my opinion. This is my last comment until the Admin speaks as Meyer suggested...by the way some of you people get insulted very easy. Its a discussion board to express free opinion...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I respectfully take exception to your comments regarding RobAmy's entry. RobAmy has a history of sharing stunning photographs. Photographs which clearly illustrate great talent. GPF benefits from RobAmy's generosity in that such photographs are both a feast for the eyes and promote the hobby of ponding.

Please let us all continue in peace and brotherhood.
Seconded Brother Lou :happy:

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
The rules are outlined at the start of each and every month when I ask for entries. If you really think I need to specify that the photo needs to be taken by the member themselves, then I will clarify that in the rules. There is a theme each month, and in the past when a member has submitted a photo that is not within the theme then they have rarely received any votes, so I'm sure you do not need to worry about photos of dogs in bikinis when the theme is 'winter'. When there is a topic such as 'Moving Water' (like this month) then I am often happy for non-pond submissions to be made as long as it fits within the theme - if you do not like them, then don't vote for them - simple!

Really, the Photo of the Month is just meant to be a bit of fun! Let's keep things happy here :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
The rules are outlined at the start of each and every month when I ask for entries. If you really think I need to specify that the photo needs to be taken by the member themselves, then I will clarify that in the rules - for what it is worth I do not think this is necessary. There is a theme each month, and in the past when a member has submitted a photo that is not within the theme then they have rarely received any votes, so I'm sure you do not need to worry about photos of dogs in bikinis when the theme is 'winter'. When there is a topic such as 'Moving Water' (like this month) then I am often happy for non-pond submissions to be made as long as it fits within the theme - if you do not like them, then don't vote for them - simple!

Really, the Photo of the Month is just meant to be a bit of fun! Let's keep things happy here :)

Ok that's the clarification some of us were looking for as others jumped on the thread just to patronize RobAmy and bash me for mentioning names to identify a pic of an example....so basically the rules of the contest change every month. Just to be really clear you state that you don't feel its necessary to clarify that the member themselves has to take the photo but some months non-pond submissions can be made as long as it fits within the theme? Does that mean during those months pics can be gathered from a google image search? My opinion which doesn't mean much because its not my contest would be to only allow submissions taken by a member of the forum of their own pond. An unfiltered and unmodified picture. I dont know about anyone else but I enjoy looking at the "member" showcases of everyones ponds to marvel and gather ideas for myself. Looking at random found internet pics of ponds takes some of the contest luster away. Members should be rewarded by entering a pic "they" took of something "they" constructed with their own hands and have a chance of winning. Afterall this is a "Garden Pond Forum" right? Not a photography forum. It's just my opinion...and Becky things are happy here. Its a friendly debate/discussion. It just amazes me why some people equate a friendly debate or a stated opinion as an attack or being disrespectful. Is the world becoming that soft that opinions can't be shared anymore? The contest may be enjoyable for some but until its a contest where "members" take their own unmodified pics of their own pond I have no interest in viewing the entries or making an entry....Becky don't take this as an insult or an attack directed towards you. I have respect for you and all the moderators on here who donate their time for free making sure the forum runs smoothly. I just have my own personal opinion about the contest and wanted some clarification to clear up some confusion thats all. Ok my rant is over....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Just to be really clear you state that you don't feel its necessary to clarify that the member themselves has to take the photo but some months non-pond submissions can be made as long as it fits within the theme? Does that mean during those months pics can be gathered from a google image search?

No, that is not what I said. The Photo of the Month is for members to submit their own photos, and to my knowledge no-one has ever submitted a photo that wasn't theirs. However, if you really think it needs stating in the rules then I am happy to include it. There is also no requirement that the photos be unmodified - if someone wants to digitally alter their photo then I don't have a problem with that, as long as it is their work.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
No, that is not what I said. The Photo of the Month is for members to submit their own photos, and to my knowledge no-one has ever submitted a photo that wasn't theirs. However, if you really think it needs stating in the rules then I am happy to include it. There is also no requirement that the photos be unmodified - if someone wants to digitally alter their photo then I don't have a problem with that, as long as it is their work.

Becky you don't have to include it in the rules on my behalf. As long as digitally altered pics and non-garden pond related photos are allowed I have no interest in your contest or viewing the entries for that matter. You have a surfer as an entry for this month...a surfer.....and you have a digitally enhanced photo of a huge waterfall that Im pretty sure doesn't belong to any of the pond members on here. If it does great but it's still digitally enhanced (aka fake). As long as the contest is run like a contest in a photography forum I have no interest in even viewing the pics or partaking in the contest. Im sure others feel the same way whether they have the courage to openly admit it or not on here. If I want to view paintings or digitally enhanced photographs Ill google images or look at Thomas Kinkaide paintings....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Jersey, I think that the picture that you keep referring to as "digitally enhanced" is actually a picture taken with a slower shutter speed, that's all.
To be done correctly, it takes skill.
That's what I like to see in a contest, plus imagination.
If I only wanted to see pictures of members ponds, I would go to the showcase area.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Any time you mess with the settings on a camera, the digital ones, you are in a way doing a digital enhancement. I can add filtering, effects, coloring all with the push of a button before I take the picture.
The waterfall is a slow shutter speed, the camera on a tripod, beautifully done. I have done many photos of that sort. Just not recently.

I do not think I have ever seen a google search picture. A lot of members live in some beautiful areas. We live in farm land, I can't just wander out and get the great shots that jb gets of natural ponds, flowers etc. I love seeing all the great photos presented. Mitch gets great wildlife shots, snow, mountains.

The photo contest is for fun, lets keep it that way fun. The members do the voting, no one can make anybody push the vote button to guide the selection of the winner.
I vote but my vote is mine only. I can not go in and edit the votes, nor would I ever do that, neither would the admins.

Ask a Question