JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Again. Nobody was personally attacking RobAmy.

I didn't say anyone was taking a personal attack at them. I simply said it wasn't taken from the internet as you originally suggested. I never considered it to be an attack, and only wanted to make it known that it wasn't the case. You do not need to be so defensive when in response to me, as far as I'm concerned this is a light-hearted discussion.

I am sorry you're against altered photos, though. Every single photo I share has been altered, most often sharpness, lighting corrections, digital watermarks. Most photographers use camera settings or post-production techniques to get the best of their photos because cameras themselves can only do so much.

It's a shame you have no interest in the contest, because with a pond like yours, you'd definitely win future contests.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Any time you mess with the settings on a camera, the digital ones, you are in a way doing a digital enhancement.

I am sorry you're against altered photos, though. Every single photo I share has been altered, most often sharpness, lighting corrections, digital watermarks. Most photographers use camera settings or post-production techniques to get the best of their photos because cameras themselves can only do so much.

Exactly - very well put, both of you. I'm not opening up the competition to 'faked' photos, I'm just acknowledging that we live in a digital world.

@Jersey_Marine and @Meyer Jordan I'm sorry that you feel you cannot take part in the competition.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Just to chime in here...

eventhough Rob submitted his beautiful photo most of the time doesnt mean he won the contest every time he submitted. that goes to show that voters votes differently. I'll continue to submit my photo that I took of what ever and where ever that match the theme of the month, because my pond cant supply all of the pictures for the theme (and i dont want to submit photo of just my pond over and over.. kinda boring because it'll always be the same pic)

And one picture that I took from my camera phone won once, so i know anything's possible ;)

Edit to add that I dont see anything wrong with this month contest - the serfer pic, since the waves are amazing moving water

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
For completeness, here is how I view the Photo of the Month:

• It is a photo competition on a garden pond site, and consequently the photos should primarily be related to garden ponds
  • There is a theme each month, and members are encouraged to submit a photo which fits within the theme
  • The photo must be one you have taken yourself
  • The photo does not necessarily have to be of your own garden pond - for example, if you visited a formal garden and snapped a photo of a pond at a country manor (for example) then I don't have a problem with that - after all, it is likely to be a photo that people who are interested in garden ponds will like. After all, it is not a competition about who has the best pond, it is about who took the best photo.
  • We live in a digital world, and digital enhancements (eg using the correct settings on your camera, cropping a photo, etc) are permitted...
  • ...As long as your photo is not a full blown PhotoShop assembly of course!

The reason that all of the above does not feature in the Photo of the Month rules is that it just hasn't been necessary to state it. The competition has always run very smoothly each month, and already adheres to the bullet points above without needing to state them. Members understand that they cannot submit some random photo they have found on the internet, and so the rules have been kept fairly informal. In the past there have been the odd photo submitted which didn't relate to garden ponds, but may have met the criteria of the monthly topic, and so if it was a quiet month I have let them slide - but they have never won because they didn't attract votes.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
People write LOL. I actually did laugh out loud to this post!
Once, back in the summer, well, the theme was "summer," if I recall -- someone posted a very nice close-up of a dragonfly. I had just found my 1st-ever dragonfly larva "carcass," and was kind of excited [we all know how those "firsts" are], so I posted a picture of that. It was supposed to be the "before" picture of the/a dragonfly! Just my shot at humor, too, @tbendl! My mind works that way most of the time.....we need to share ideas some time.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I love to see those different interpretation of the 'theme' it's so much fun :)

@tbendl i thought something like that once :)
@Mmathis I remmember I saw a pic of the dragon fly nymph and thought that's clever ;) I thought about posting pic of my burnt skin for Summer theme once but then gave up because I couldnt find a way to make it looks nice haha

Ask a Question