Photos of expansion project

Reaction score
It wasn't that much dirt I guess, but I'd hit the wall. Couldn't work more than 15 minutes without becoming exhausted. Weird--part of it may have been a sub-clinical bout of one of the flus. Anyway, hired a couple guys to remove the final dirt and they knocked it out in 30 minutes. Yay!

Now I'm filling holes in the wall with Great Stuff and next will tack on the carpet either Dr. Dave or Dr. Case recommended. Pics to follow.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Thats how I got rid of carpet that I couldn't throw away but never wanted to use in my home. I guess being a pack rat has its ups and downs.

Reaction score
Boy isn't that the truth, i.e. keeping things and finding a use later. I used to throw away everything, but my wife has slowly converted me into, what I call, a scrapster. We keep all the scraps and odds and ends and end up using them for some odd, unexpected thing.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the thing is ..you save stuff for years then finally throw or give it away, as soon as you do something comes up and its a "damnit that would of been nice to have for this" moment!!

Reaction score
right you are. i think it was one of those moments some time ago that finally convinced me. now i have "tucker totes" of every imagineable thing labeled miscellaneous, not to mention the attic and stuff stacked against the walls.

Reaction score
Latest update. The east side of the pond wall is 3 inches higher. That side had to be built on a slab and while I cut the stones to fit, I guess I blew it and that side and about 1/4 around that side is higher. At first I was just going to accept it, but that would mean with the water 2 inches lower that the top of the low side, it'd be 5 inches below the high side.

So, I built forms out of 4 inch artificial decking material with a gradual slope to the high side. This product I found at lowes and comes in 12 ft. lengths and is about 1/8 in thick, so easily bendable. I 'll take fotos tomorrow.

The way I mounted these forms was to put 3 in. cross boards in and use a 22 cal. nail gun to mount them. I had to play with the charges (there are 5 levels) and the nail lengths (there are at least 5 sizes), but I have grown to like the system. It works well. then I placed a series of these nails sticking up to put wire on to hold in the cement. I'll pour that on Thurs.

On the front side, where it shows I'm going to cut some of the same stones to the three inch height and glue them to the existing wall. I'll try to taper them when they get close to the high side.

Today I rented a gasoline block cutter to cut the stones. Damn things are really, really heavy. And this one had a faulty starter cord, kept hanging up. I only got two stones cut in two hours. Then, because my neighbor wasn't there to help, I had to use a come-along to winch the darn thing into the truck. Rental place agreed to rent it to me again in the future for free for my trouble. What a hassle.

Reaction score
it would not be the first time that I've heard someone build a pond where one side ended up taller than the other. Sounds like you're doing what you can to compensate for it. Actually, come to think of it, my pond is a bit like that since the previous builder built it into a slope.

Looking foward to your pics!

Reaction score
I live in the Willamette Valley of Oregon. Honestly one of the finest places in this country. But you gotta be ok with rain. And cloudy skies. Probably sell more prozac out here than anywhere but Seattle.

In any case, I'll take some pics tomorrow notwithstanding it's supposed to rain the next three days. Murphy's law. The day you have to work at your paying job, it's sunny. The days you have off it rains. :banghead3:

Reaction score
I'm going crazy over the rain. And the wind. I can't quite get ready for the new liner what with the f.......rain. Today the wind blew the tarp off and rain filled in under the old liner. I was able to vaccum it out but gad it's such a major pain. The old tarp was ruined so I bought a new one and set it up tonight but the darn winds are supposed to hit 40 knots so it will probably blow away too. I'm working so much at my regular job these days I never have 3-4 days together to prepare the hole for the new liner. So paint me very, very, very frustrated. And, the weather report for the next week to 10 days is??? you guessed it. Rain and wind. F.
I've attached some fotos. I'm soooo close.

Attachments

• garden pond foto 76-expansion 2009.jpg
    garden pond foto 76-expansion 2009.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 276
  • garden pond foto 77-expansion 2009.jpg
    garden pond foto 77-expansion 2009.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 317
  • garden pond forum 77-eexpansion 2009.jpg
    garden pond forum 77-eexpansion 2009.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 287

Ask a Question