Pics from late summer

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I don't think I get stink bugs, never seen one, not that I even know what it looks like, but I do have tons of lady bugs and wasps of all kinds. Lots of wasps, and they never bother me, but the eat all the bad bugs from my pepper plants. Wasps are misunderstood, people think they are bad, but really they are good at eating bad bugs, as wasps are big meat eaters. At one of the greenhouses in Redcliff, just a five minute drive from town here, you can go buy fresh cukecumbers all year round, and they don't use any pesticides, they use a special type of small wasp that eats all the bugs!

About those moths, very interesting and pretty too, can't say I have seen those types here, but we do get hummingbird moths, they look just like a hummingbird, but are really a moth. Next year I will try to get a picture of one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
We get the Hummingbird moths as well Colleen hard to come by at times but they do love the flowers. They even sound like a hummingbird when they buzz by you.This early fall and late summer was horrible for stink bugs! I have been choping wood for the fire place and the bugs are in the thousands on the wood. I got to mashing some from moving the wood around and almost got sick from there stench! Smelly damn things!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Good grief, that sounds smelly, are those stink bugs attracted to certain type of wood? Glad we don't have them but sure get lots of Ant's in the spring and summer. We all have some bug that "bugs" us no matter where we live. Have not seen the really large June bugs for a few years now, wonder what happened. I have read that they can get to 2 inches, and that was the size of the big June bug I saw years ago. It scared me so much that I took it out of the pond with the net as it was swimming around, was frightened it would eat the fish! I think it was a June bug, was told that was what it was....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Used to have June bugs around here, but since the Japanese beetle showed up in the US maybe 10 or 15 years ago, I think they killed all the June bugs. Or, maybe the insecticides did it. These pics were pulled from the internet, so they are small, but this is the Japanese beetle, and then the June bug.
Japanese beetle.jpgJune bug.jpg
Here are the Asian Lady Bug beetles that everyone calls a stink bug or stink beetle, because they smell and if you step on them or smoosh them on your arm or clothes, it is sickening the stink they produce!
Asian Lady Bug beetle.jpg
And, these are actually "Stink Bugs". They come in brown and green in this area. Some on here, I think Addy and Sissy, actually have these by the hundreds different times of the year!
Stink bug.jpg
It's much easier and more common to call the Asian Lady Bug beetles stink bugs, though. :)

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I think I may have seen the first bug, and that's not the June bug I saw, I think there must be different kinds. The one I saw was all shiny and very black, flatter body, and much bigger, two inches of bug, and very large claw like things at the front, and they swim very well and fly too. Going to look under green June bug... or other June bugs and see...

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
OK I found it, looked under water bugs of Alberta, it's called the giant Water Bug, the biggest bug in Alberta. Wish I knew how to cut and paste, then I could post picture I found on internet. Got to figure this tablet out soon!!!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good grief, that sounds smelly, are those stink bugs attracted to certain type of wood?.

The brown ones we have here are from asia, when the weather cools they crawl into small spaces, bags, wood, under siding, boxes to keep warm. Anything outside is not brought into the house without a through inspection for the suckers, everything shook out. In the warm house they wake up and start flying.

The next generation follows the stink trail of the bugs before them for places to go and hide for the winter and how to get into your house.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The swarm of stink bugs around my house were the brown colored. Addy your right on the inspection bit! if you dont you will regret not doing it LOL! Hardly see the green ones. Wow i havent seen a water bug that huge in a long time!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Is this it, Colleen? OMG, that is huge! It said they they are sometimes called "toe biter" because they can cause a nasty bite.
View attachment 49510

Yes that was the bug, and the one I saw was even bigger, about two inches, and it flew into my pond one evening, and it was dark, had light on the pond. Then the horrid noise it made flying, clack-a tee clack, was equally frightening, and remember thinking what is that sound? Like medal wings beating, then Plop! Into the pond it dropped and swam to the bottom. There was no way in HELL that I would EVER put that monster on my HAND!!! I was scared for my LIFE just catching it with a NET!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Agree with you Colleen about putting that bug on your hand, especially when I read it has a nasty bite/sting in those pinchers in front! I would worry about it attaching to one of your fish, though, since they are slow this time of year with the cold! I think I would risk trying to snatch him out of your pond, if you see that he's still in there! Yikes! They are ancient looking to say the least.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My cousin lived near the Keys in Florida and went to visit her a couple of years ago and thought roaches were bad in NY but geeze they have giant ones there and they are every where no matter how much you clean .I just don't like bugs .

Ask a Question