Pictorial history of construction

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
Thanks, DrCase, Stroppy. Addy, fountain grass is pennisetum family, I haven't had good experience with any pennisetum surviving dependably in zone 7b. The purple has trouble in zone 8, no chance here. Acorus is just too darned small. I'm sure the feather grass won't live here, either. Dwarf zebra, have not located a good supply locally - yet. I'd prefer a strong light green, like miscanthus in texture, but even Adagio miscanthus is way too big. Guess I'll keep looking.

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
Hey, thanks, I appreciate the positive comments I've gotten. But, I was so detailed with my post hoping someone could point out something wrong I did, or unorthodox design or construction, trying to make my next one easier. I've obtained another liner, smaller, and want to put one in the back yard for my younger daughter to see out her window (the windows above the pond belong to my older daughter). Don't worry, I don't have any feelings to hurt (by consensus of my family and acquaintances;-), tell me what you think.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
only problem i can see is your gutter going into your pond ? only run off water might not be good for the pond ...also you said in one post that you fill your pond with water going through your filter if its tap water you could be killing off your bacteria

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
stroppy said:
only problem i can see is your gutter going into your pond ? only run off water might not be good for the pond ...

Why would only run off water be bad? well unless it has been like this year, no rain.
We are piping our gutters into the pond, with being on a well, we want to take advantage of any rain that falls. We are going to have overflow pipes coming out of the pond to deal with too much rain. (If it ever rains again here..........all storms missing our area)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
stroppy said:
because of what your roof might be made of .... thats what others on this site have said ..someone help me out here pleaseeeee

Yep chemicals, but we are not doing koi, I can understand it for those fish, but there is a chance it won't hurt them also, only time will tell. Maybe one of these ponders has done it in the past and lost all their fish because of roof runoff. Asphalt shingles, but a lot of peeps say roofing rubber will kill the fish, I have two good friends, that have koi, and built their ponds with it, without issues. So who knows! Guess we would have to do chemical analysis, with a two year data plot of the changes in the water, accurate measuring of roof runoff to figure this out.

For our water garden, maybe some fish, pond and bog i can't see runoff hurting the water.

LOL stroppy love the help me ...................

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Fabulous pond !!! You did a great job. We love the pics. Your landscaping is pretty. You should be very proud.

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
Thanks, Sunshine. We've been enjoying it, me probably the most. Stroppy, that's what I'm talking about. I did think of that, though. My roof is 10 years old, never walked on, so I think it has washed the worst away. I top off through my redneck engineered rain barrel (spigot dumps into the skimmer intake), 30g at a time, I guess I believe in dechlorination (I've heard that chlorine damage to koi is cumulative - don't like to chance that). That said, thanks for tackling the first problem. I know, with my extensive research but no experience and no help, that I've screwed up some things, just tell me if you can see 'em. Thanks again.

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
Thanks, DL, it's a work in progress, though. Gotta get my other 3 lilies going, and more plants taking off. Clear water is my goal, I can't see 6 feet down.

Ask a Question