addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You have done great with a first pond, put a lot of thought into it.

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
Thanks, I appreciate the kind words. Definitely has been a bigger project than I originally set out to do, but it seems that things always work that way for me.

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
Thanks, 3qtkidz. I, of course, see more flaws each time I look at it. That's what winter's for, though, right? First, though, I have to finish reflooring my house. And building a pantry. And remodeling a bathroom. Then there's the bedroom furniture, maybe new kitchen cabinets, and... One day, maybe :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
your neighbors must be jealous as your yard must be the prettiest in the area .Thats some pond to be proud of .I loved looking at your progress and I know what you mean always something you want to change you step back and see something you want to add

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Thanks for the pictoral of your pond in progress! I was excited when I saw the first picture, as it was about the size (maybe not quite as deep as yours) as I had in mind for my first ever pond! Then, you went and made it HUGE! This is why people say "don't buy your liner until you're done digging!" It looks super! Great work. Thanks again for sharing!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I have to say for a first timer I'm VERY impressed! Nice and clean, very well thought out and constructed, even the mess up's you have turned into positives. Blends very well with the house and as soon as all the plants around the landscape get mature it's really going to look great.
I would recommend you getting a UV light! Your in the open sunlight and even if you barely stock the pond with fish and all the plants you have your going to keep some discoloration to your pond. UV lights really only need to be run for the half of the year that algae's produce unless your using them for complete sterilization. I was very hesitant on getting a skimmer, when I did I was extremely happy I did, when I got my UV clarifier/sterilizer I really didn't think I needed it, once I installed mine I was like that is the best piece of equipment I have invested in yet!!! My friend has a 3600 gallon pond and it's been running for over a year with minimal fish and loaded with plants. He saw mine after I installed the UV and I talked him into installing one, the water was ok, He installed a 36 watt UV light he bought off of ebay new for under $150, within one week his water has turned crystal clear and I now have another client that wants a pond built after he saw his this past week. It really does do that much!!!! Recommended UV is 1 watt per 100 gallons.
BTW, is your rain water coming from your roof? If so I recommend you run the water through activated charcoal before going to your pond, it will help minimize any chemicals coming from the roof to your pond. Most people highly recommend not using roof run-off as it can contaminate a pond. however I do as I have metal corrugated roofing from where I collect my water from and our city water is by far worse for the fish than the water I'm using! I use standard aquarium grade activated charcoal and run my water through a 4 inch pipe that has a sock full in it. I simply put a small water spicket in my plumbing and allow the water to slowly run thru the charcoal before it enters my system. This will help remove any metals, toxins, and chemicals that may have collected on you collecting surface. Hope this helps. Look forward to seeing updates and pics as it developes this year!

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone that has responded so positively, sorryy I took so long to respond myself. Since my last post on this thread, I've built a small greenhouse to house a 300g hospital tank, overfiltered by a 55g sand & gravel filter. I also built a 1500g quarantine tank, to welcome new fish and protect my koi from KHV. I have a few "test fish" (ugly) in the QT to become exposed to any new incoming fish. Got a 55g s&g filter on that, just good enough to get by for now.

I filled both new tanks with pond water, then used a lot of the cycled media to start the filters off. For right now, all of my other fish are in the 300g Hospital tank, the biggest being only 10", I've been checking and no detectable ammonia, nitrites or nitrates. pH has been running a little high in all my ponds, not sure why yet, but I have added bags of peat to each filter to slowly bring it back to where I like it.

With the main pond that this thread is about, I wanted to implement some upgrades and fundamental design changes, so it is emptying now. I'll be adding a few features, like about 2 or 3000 more gallons, a wedgewire sieve, a 25W UV, two pumps and some TPRs. We'll see what else strikes me by the time I'm there.

I'm also amassing materials for a decent sized goldfish pond in my back yard, plus a stream and runoff carnivorous bog (flytraps, pitcher plants, sundews, etc.). Oh, and a pool for the kids, and finish up my greenhouse. I'll be adding a few more pictures, too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
You make me tired just reading what you are planning to do! My mom would say, "Finish one project before you start another one", but it may be that one project is leading directly to the next. As long as you are enjoying it, and you obviously ARE, go for it! Can't wait to see more pics.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I was looking at your pics again and noticed your rain barrel great.I have 2 of them and great hint here I put a drip irrigation hose on mine during the rainy season so it does not overflow and some of my plants get watered with out me having to remember them and I do not have to remember to leave water out before the next rain .

Ask a Question