plant media

Reaction score
Country
United States
did a search but probably poorly worded so got poor results . currently have our potted plants in mud and wondered about switching to something more like a ''gravel . we have five lilies , some water canna , and two others i can't remember . the ''can't remembers '' include a plant with lily like foliage that had nice yellow flowers . it was very aggressive first year [ banned in some states ] but basically inert last year . . . peace

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Many use kitty litter in their pots. My plants are all growing in planting beds of gravel built into the pond.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
When I replanted my lilies I used aquatic planting media with pea gravel on top since the aquatic planting media was smaller and I was worried it would float (even though the bag said it wouldn't). Here's a link to the aquatic planting media I used https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P6EFDM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 BUT I've since come to the realization that the aquatic planting media looks an awful lot like clay kitty litter which is what a lot of people on the forum use and the kitty litter is WAY cheaper. If I did it all over again I would probably go with the kitty litter, but you have to get a specific kind (unscented, clay, non-clumping, etc.)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When I replanted my lilies I used aquatic planting media with pea gravel on top since the aquatic planting media was smaller and I was worried it would float (even though the bag said it wouldn't). Here's a link to the aquatic planting media I used https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P6EFDM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 BUT I've since come to the realization that the aquatic planting media looks an awful lot like clay kitty litter which is what a lot of people on the forum use and the kitty litter is WAY cheaper. If I did it all over again I would probably go with the kitty litter, but you have to get a specific kind (unscented, clay, non-clumping, etc.)
Very good info thank you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I bought fabric planting pots for aquatic plants on Amazon. I think Laguna makes them? They are nice if you want to squish them into odd spaces and camouflage with rocks. I just bought the super cheap ($3.00) big bag of Special Kitty clay cat litter from Walmart and used that to plant in. (Must be pure clay with no scent or anything else added. Walmart was the only place I could find it.) Cover the top with gravel. When you first submerge the planter, it will make the water white and cloudy. My goldfish thought it was all for their entertainment and they loved it. The water will clear up completely within a day or so. I'm going into the second year with the pond and everything is thriving!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
make sure you get this one which is Red and says Natural

b64c6763-cf75-4e03-ae5a-0caec2e9ef35_1.8694c9d8f8d2b617f618085293bebeaf.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I have a big unopened bag sitting in my basement. My husband thinks it is bizarre, since we don't have a cat to use it up on. And no one we know uses clay litter. Too much trouble to do a return for $3 but too wasteful to throw away. So there it sits. Maybe we will get a big southern ice storm one of these years and we can use it for traction under our tires! :LOL:

Ask a Question