Playing or Bullying?

Reaction score
Hi, we have a pond with some koi and goldfish. We have 2 large orange goldfish and 2 large fancy goldfish - I can't remember what they're called but they are white with orange/red patches, one has a red patch on his head and their tails are fancy. Anyway, we also have 2 small goldfish which our neighbour gave to us from her indoor fishtank. The fish have all been in there for weeks absolutely fine but today I went out to the pond, and the fancy goldfish is chasing the 2 smaller goldfish around the pond.

I came in and went back out a couple minutes later and the fancy goldfish had the 2 small goldfish up against the side of the pond, the smaller ones were partially out of the water and were trying to get away. Is this fancy goldfish "playing" (do they play?) or bullying? Could they be mating? The temperature is very hot here at the moment. It's only just started happening this morning, they've been in there together for weeks without a problem.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
aaauuuhhhh...youve obviously witnessed your first spawning! check the plants and such for eggs if you want them to survive, move them to a seperate housing tub and put a small aerator in it.

Ask a Question