Please advise as to if this pond design makes sense

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey anyone know how to edit the thread title? Just realized I wrote advice instead of advise :eek:

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
@addy1 can fix the title, but really it's nothing to worry about. We all figured out what you meant!

And yes, your bog can feed your waterfall, if that's what you were asking. And there are lotuses that will survive in zone 5B, as long as they are kept below the ice all winter long. They don't like to freeze solid.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
In the area where the water comes up and then falls back into the pond?
Yes it could be a small planted bog.
I would love to get two hardy lotuses if there is such a thing for zone 5...
Yes lotus are hardy, you would want to pot them, they tend to take over a pond, send out runners and tubers.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you! The title was sloppy enough to begin with and then the faux pas... hahaha

So our patio guy who is also putting the pond in said, "if you're planning fish at any point, you'll need a biofilter. " So, we okayed that but where would that filter go? The whole thing is going to be encased within a flagstone patio so I'm hoping I'll have access to the filter for cleaning, maintenance, etc. Also, I read that the bog filter should not be after the biofilter because you want the bog plants to get rid of the nutrients but then after the bog section comes the waterfall back into the pond so wouldn't the pump be sucking from the pond (where would the pump be? within the pond? on the bottom of the deep part under the waterfall? Then it would have to go to the biofilter and then pumped up through the bog? I'm so confused!

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
If you have bog filtration you don't need a second bio filter - the bog IS a bio filter.

I don't want to overstep here, because you weren't asking, but I would be VERY hesitant to hire a "patio guy" to do a pond UNLESS you know he's built other ponds, and you've seen his work - and LOTS of it. Too many people who do landscaping or even hardscaping think "oh a pond - that's simple!" We've had people post here about nightmare stories. Check out Eric Triplett's "ponds gone wrong" series on YouTube - all ponds built by "professionals" that were disasters. Lots of good pond professionals say 60% or more of their business is fixing other builder's mistakes. I'd just hate for you to find yourself in that spot. It's way cheaper to do build it right the first time.

Any type of filtration on your pond should be EASILY accessible for maintenance and cleaning. And if you plan to have a bog filter then you just need a mechanical filter - a skimmer typically.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you @Lisak1 and @addy1 for input. He said that he used to work for a company that did ponds and was also involved with spring cleanups (which I do realize that if the ecosystem is self sufficient you do not need that) and loved seeing all the baby koi . They put them in a container and cleaned the pond etc. All this was volunteered by him and he is a friend of a friend so I thought he is on the level...

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'll find out what his idea of a biofilter was and post. I wanted a very clean square cut formal pond so maybe he thought that a biofilter would suit better than a bog?

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Here you go! A very formal (and lovely!) pond with a bog filter:

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Lisak1 that is an awesome looking setup. Thanks for finding that. Couple of q's:
1) re: the grey pipe that is visible on the left. Does that bring water from the main pond into the bog? I saw his slotted pipe laid on the bottom of the bog so that would push the water upwards through the bog and filter it before it waterfalled back into the pond, right? If so then two questions: where is the intake for that pipe? I didn't see it in the "dry" image. Also, does the pipe have to be visible? I'm looking for a very clean, modern look. So in this case could the pipe enter from a notch cut into the top cinder block or even the interface between the two blocks (as long as it's higher than bog water level so no backflow occurs that dries bog when pump is off...)
2) also I'm looking for the top of the main pond to be flush with my flagstone (formal rectangular pieces of flagstone as opposed to natural shaped) and not higher. Is that a problem? Also, what is that step looking slab on the far side of the main pond? A step to jump into the pond?:)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I spoke with the patio guy and he said he was planning on using the standard liner that everyone uses and said it is EPDM (I threw out EPDM 45 and he said yes that was the thickness). I asked about which biofilter he was thinking and could we do a bog filter? He said yes we could do bog but he was thinking a biofilter with bioballs which need to be rinsed out occasionally or something like that.

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question