PLEASE HELP! Koi pond is turn ing black

Reaction score
Hello everyone.... I have a Koi pond that is about 700 gallons. The water was turning all green, so I bought a UV filter. It turned the pond amazingly clear for about a week. Then I bought some lilies and put them in and that day the pond started to turn the floor and walls black. Is this ok? I dont know if the lily has any connection to the changing of color but what do I do to stop this. Should I put barley straw into the pond? If anyone knows how to handle this situation, I am in need of your suggestions. Thanks

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I am hoping you did not put them straight in the pond .I always clean all plants of all the soil or whatever they were in and plant them in something else .Most have luck planting in pure clay cat litter ,but make sure you soak it after putting the plant in the clay or you will get cloudy water .All plants should be repotted before they go in a pond as you never no what is in the plant or what they are planted in .The dirt the plant is in is probably causing your problem .You may have to filter the water really good .

Reaction score
good to know sissy... I'm worried now... didn't replant the last plants i bought :s gonna pray now... :s

Also I replied on the other topic acechoi

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That would all depend on the nursery where you buy them also .One plant with bugs can cause problems for all the plants ,you never know what is in those pots or how clean those pots are .All pots get soaked also in peroxide and water ,even new ones .Maybe I'm to careful but i would rather be to careful and not end up with a headache later .

Reaction score
no you are right... i realize that the aquarium reflexes are the same for a pond.

I checked though that no bugs or anything... will keep an eye on that.

Ask a Question