Pond clean up

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi I bought a house with a pond in the garden. There's one fish living in the pond. I got a quote of 750 euro to clean out the pond as there is sludge at the bottom. Does this sound correct?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
whitekittywelcome.gif
@CalamityKitty
Not knowing how big your pond is but if you are able you could do it yourself pretty easily. Just some time and messy! Use plastic type shovel or net w/long handle and bucket to put the sludge into, then dump it somewhere in your gardens as the plants will love it mixed into the soil. Might want to take the one fish out and put him in a tub w/some of his pond water and an aerator. Keep all your old pond water in your pond as that is water your fish is used to. Putting all new water in will harm the fish. You can filter your cleaned out pond after you remove the sludge w/a good filter. If you have someone clean it out and they take all your old water out then you will need to let your water cycle before adding the fish. Use chlorine remover too if your water has it in it when adding fresh water.
If I forgot anything someone will add more advice.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Thank you. I am mostly worried about the fish tbh. We are very fond of him He's been there a long time (we think 4 years as that's when the original owner of the pond died) and seems very happy. The man that quoted it said he knows how to treat the water but am still scared that this will kill the fish. And that if we don't do it it could kill him too. Any advice on what best to do is greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A picture is needed here , as is some more information. Is there a filter on the pond? Some ponds with one fish may be relying on the bio film . " what you will be destroying if you have the pond cleaned. I SUGGEST TRYING A FACEBOOK group SEE IF ANYONE KNOWS THE POND.

Ask a Question