Pond filter cleaning inherited pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi looking for some help on filters for my pond we’ve inherited from my mum and dad it’s 7.5ft wide 14ft long 3.5 ft wide with approximate 17 fish from very large to small koi carp common and mirror carp and the odd goldfish the filters must be over 25 years old has a new uv though looking for info about how often to clean the filter chambers been doing the brushes once a week and just done the other but haven’t made it really clean thanks in advance for any help these are much loved pets that hold many memories of mum and dad
D4F97DBE-89B7-4F1B-8E15-E7F7B72F6686.jpeg

Attachments

• AA0B5315-8FA6-4C1C-B99B-3A707C7F0BBE.jpeg
    AA0B5315-8FA6-4C1C-B99B-3A707C7F0BBE.jpeg
    267.5 KB · Views: 22

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
It appears that the filter system is just a couple of barrels with a bunch of media in them? I think the brushes are good to be cleaned out like you have been doing them, and possibly any sponges that are in the other barrel, but you don't want to mess with any bio media, so I would leave that stuff alone.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Thank you for your help eventually we will change the filter but have no idea what to buy and can you just change them Do you add as much of your old media as you can to any new system
If you are interested in replacing this filter I would recommend a upflow wetland filter. They are basically a biological filter that like 90% of us on here use to keep our water crystal clear and very healthy.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you are interested in replacing this filter I would recommend a upflow wetland filter. They are basically a biological filter that like 90% of us on here use to keep our water crystal clear and very healthy.
Will definitely be something we want to do I’ve wrote that in my notes on my phone thanks again

Ask a Question