Pond coming to life and new weir coming

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Got some plants started. I did hosta in the floating basket and dug up iris an put in tossed in some water hyac. today. Not too many in case we get another frost. Parrot's feather, arrowhead and lily waking up. Now I am just keeping fingers crossed for Lotus.

Making our own weir for the second pond. I will need to forcus on camo cover for it, but it is started 0 Thanks Al! :(

Two new koi and the fish are all in full spawn mode! I will need to rehome some of last year's offspring, I think hubby will have seperation anxiety, but I cannot keep all these fish. I'll just keep the fancy golds with long tails and the shubbies/sarassa colorful ones. That is only about 15 fish.

Attachments

• Pondside.JPG
    Pondside.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 400
  • DSC_6402.JPG
    DSC_6402.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 379
  • DSC_6404.JPG
    DSC_6404.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 331
  • DSC_6405.JPG
    DSC_6405.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 359
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Carpe Diem,

Thanks for the compliment. We have been working hard to get this pond which was used as a dog pool into a beautiful pond. I just can't wait for everything to be in full swing.

KoiKeeper- they are sun-loving hostas. I have more of these than I have places to palnt, so I thought I would try the pond. So far they are loving it and they are so hardy! Many people don't realize there are hostas available for full sun, but there are. My biggest battle this time of the year is keeping the water crystal clear because of all the sun our pond gets- from sun-up to very late afternoon, no shade.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Thank you- it's getting there. It is about 28' long and14' wide at the far end, about 10 feet wide at the other end. Depth varies from a couple of spots about 12-18" near the rocks that rise up under the liner to about 3' in the middle and near the retaining wall. I guess it mus hold some where around 2-3 thousand gallons? Then the upper pond is a prefab kidney shape, I guess maybe 200 gallons? Not sure about that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Hosta seems to be right at home in the pond. Last year I bout this floating container with a large foam ring for bouancy. The one thing that I should have done was add mor weight. I have a 6 oz. fishing sinker on line, but I fear that when the hosta springs, it will blow around wildly. If I am feeling ambitious at some point I will use an awl and add some more holes and more weight, mabe in three points, so I can keep it in one spot.

The hostas are growing slower in the pond than the ones I transplanted in terra firma, which is nice, it will extend the life of the hosta. I will put a post on my findings now on the plant part of this forum. Others may be interseted.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Your pond looks very nice...
I like the large rocks in the back round also

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Thanks Doc. Mother nature put those in ;) so I can't take credit. I have to say the layout is sweet. The big rock used to have the weir, but I know at some point, this old gal won't be rock climbing to fix it, so we moved it down a notch. I will try and get a wide angle shot so you can see the whole thing. This is one of my most peaceful hobbies and I love our fish. We used to think a pond was hard, but it really isn't once you get to know it.

Ask a Question