Co2 Garden pond

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Hi , new here
Would like to share my struggle with hair algae and diy co2
I have been doing FW , marine , goldfish and heated fish ponds

Here is a link you might want to follow where i started my journey with this algae

i added the latest video today

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Marius Swart

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi , new here
Would like to share my struggle with hair algae and diy co2
I have been doing FW , marine , goldfish and heated fish ponds

Here is a link you might want to follow where i started my journey with this algae

i added the latest video today
Welcome! Is your DIY Co2 via a yeast reactor? Also, what are you using measure the level of Co2? It would also help to get a little information about your tank. Again, welcome!
Stephen

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Welcome! Is your DIY Co2 via a yeast reactor? Also, what are you using measure the level of Co2? It would also help to get a little information about your tank. Again, welcome!
Stephen

Yes its a yeast reacter , im not measuring co2 levels as im keeping bubbles per second at 1 thats very slow for 200l , my indicater will also arrive this week then ill be able to measure levels.

Pond has ada and lunga substrate mixed , outside with no direct sunlight. Ferts will start this week called DSD . Pond is about 200l , running a 2ft sump filtration with 2000lph return

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do you also have a Co2 diffuser or some method for creating Co2 micro bubbles? Is your reactor a single or multiple soda bottle type? I find your project most interesting. I looks like you are creating a high-tech, 52-gallon, planted aquarium (pond) outdoors. Depending where you live in South Africa, the temperature should not dip much below 15C in the winter. The project will be an interesting challenge. To name a few items, high tech works best with the right substrate, mix of light, heat, ferts and a steady daytime Co2 level. You don't need to add Co2 at night. Here is a link to one of my aquarium plant columns I wrote a few years ago: https://www.petcha.com/the-aquabotanist-high-tech-planted-tanks-and-c02/ You might find that it will be challenging keeping the Co2 at the optimum level for a 200l tank using a yeast reactor but it can and has been done. Before all of the really cool equipment that's available today, yeast reactors were all we had. I look forward to hearing how your high tech pond turns out. A very interesting project for sure!

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Im running as follows
Mix
One spoon yeast
2 cups suger
1 spoon baking soda
2l bottle

Diffuser im running a red sea earth stone that has very small micro bubble infront of the return pump , works best for this situation.

At night time im running a strong airstone also infront of the return pump

When i started this diy , the mix was bit too strong and fish was less active and swimming at the top , thats clearly an indication of too little oxygen.
Droped the mix and created a new batch that was running 1-2 bubbles per second.

I had a high tech tank so i know the basics
Light at this stage is natural , porch has a white roof so a lot of light , thats why the algae did so great.
Ill get better pics of my sump tomorrow, just the basic filter media to catch dirt in first chamber . Second chamber is like a mini planted on its own , trimmings , moss , then a nice amount of crushed coral , did the trick for me using co2 .

When winter arrives i move the pond inside the garage , yes its a struggle , been doing it a few years now, too cold during winter . Running a 300w jager on a temp controller to keep it stable at 26 . We get days here that reaches over 43 , the pond so far at the hottest stage reached 30 and that imo is still good .
I will however have to look into stronger lights for winter time .

I would like to get a better mix getting co2 , some say baking soda , some say baking powder , some even use none of them .
Maybe shortly ill try the citric acid route .

Notice the latest video i added plants and a few more fish

Reaction score
Country
United States
Very cool! One thing I did was to connect the reactor hose to a tap I added to a power head. The yeast was injected just before (on the intake side) of the pump's impeller. It really chopped up the Co2 into tiny bubbles and spread them well into the tank.

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Yes exactly like im doing , mine is just going through the return pump , micro bubbles entering the return pump. Ill actually do a walk around tomorrow and share the link

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Thanks @Tara . I created a new co2 batch with gelatine , hope this lasts longer . Also started dosing ferts , gh and kh now where it should be.
Will update soon

Ask a Question