Summer Pond in the Southern AZ Heat

Reaction score
Country
Hey all, I'm questioning my summer plans for this pond. (Plant leaves look a bit rough from the unusual frost but the water is heated)
I moved here from the Midwest and brought my guppies, bushynose plecos, and red cherry shrimp with me. All are very happy and spawning.

I plan to bury the pond in the ground in our fenced yard, pond is about 2 feet deep 125ish gallons. I plan to put it in a well shaded area and find some elephant ear (taro) It's very well aerated and the waterfall is adjustable to offer more flow from the canister. Great for hummingbirds! I have a controller that will alert me if the temps get too high, but I'm just curious if my plan will likely work? If the water temps rise into the upper 80s to 90 , I could be looking at a massive fish kill. It is a smaller pond, but I also have small tropical fish, and I know people keep cold water fish year round in ponds here. Thoughts please?

A

Advertising

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Welcome to our group!

AZ can be rough on ponds, if you have it shaded, with plants, location, it might be ok. I had three different ponds in AZ two smallish one very large. I kept the small ones in a shaded area of the yard, they were liner ponds in the ground. Probably around 200-300 gallons. I had a lot of aeration i.e. waterfall. The fish did ok. I only had gold fish.

Having yours in the ground will help.

A

Advertising

Reaction score
Country
Thanks for the welcomes! They gives me done hope that this isn't a lost hope. I'll give it a try and keep a watch eye on it.

A

Advertising

Ask a Question