Pond fish viewing tower - Where can I get one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

This is Jay. I am very new to DIY project and I have created my outdoor fish recently.It is my very first project.
It is 6x3 raised pond made up of decking wood. I think it would be nice to add a fish viewing tower.There is lot of youtube videos on how to install but struggling to find a place where I can source this fish viewing tower (Sealed unit).

I will appreciate if you could guide me where can I buy one?

Thanks and Regards,
Jay

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-09-14 at 14.19.13.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-14 at 14.19.13.png
    76.6 KB · Views: 153

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome! Not sure where to buy one but here is a thread with one made out of an aquarium.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome! Not sure where to buy one but here is a thread with one made out of an aquarium.

Thank you , It would be nice if I can get a tower like this.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! A ten-gallon aquarium works well if but it will be a short-lived novelty in my opinion. Pain to keep clean (algae) and your water level will need to be very consistent. Not to mention, displaying your fish like that says to predators, "Hey, look at what I have here for you!" Looks like your pond is about 250 gallons so you are limited in the number of fish that can be humanely kept. That picture posted above (in your last post) in my opinion is outrageous and staged. No way would that many fish stay (or live) in there for any length of time. Anyway, welcome to the forum!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum! A ten-gallon aquarium works well if but it will be a short-lived novelty in my opinion. Pain to keep clean (algae) and your water level will need to be very consistent. Not to mention, displaying your fish like that says to predators, "Hey, look at what I have here for you!" Looks like your pond is about 250 gallons so you are limited in the number of fish that can be humanely kept. That picture posted above (in your last post) in my opinion is outrageous and staged. No way would that many fish stay (or live) in there for any length of time. Anyway, welcome to the forum!
Hi Stephen, Thanks for your valuable feed back.I will take your concerns on board and be mindful of the number fish I keep in that pond. It is a home garden fish pond with 6 feet x 3 feet with the depth of 2.5 feet .I posted the picture small due to file size restrictions. I will definitely keep the number very low. Thanks again. - Jay

Reaction score
Country
United States
We are always happy to assist, Jay. I used to see in the other side of our hobby (aquarium keeping) gimmicks like that fish tower. It is no wonder we have such a staggering drop out rate from our hobby. Please feel free to ask questions, this site is loaded with highly experienced and very nice people!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I agree with @Stephen Noble - I've seen these available commercially, but the consensus here has always been that a set up like this would quickly grow a nice layer of algae on the glass and would be a pain to maintain. You can buy an algae scrubber for an aquarium, but since the top on these is closed it would be quite the feat to reach up inside of this and clean the glass. The only one I ever saw in person was set up in an indoor pond in a pond store, and it was only there the one time. The next time we visited, it was gone. I did wonder if that was because it didn't turn out to be as great as they thought it would be.

I saw a version of this that was interesting. Google "fish viewing dome". It's a floating half sphere that the fish can poke their heads up out of the pond into the dome. Not as permanent and you could easily flip it over and clean it. A novelty to be sure, but it could be fun.

Your pond, by the way, if your measurements are correct is under 200 gallons, which is a good size for a small goldfish pond.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

I have to agree with what the others have said. Algae! Plus, the water inside the “dome” is likely to be warmer which could be harmful to the fish. And speaking of cleaning algae, whatever container you used should be made of some sort of plastic (just IMHO — I would be afraid of having anything glass that could break), and many scrubbers will cause microscopic scratches on the material. Not only will that make algae even harder to get rid of, but over time the surface of the become cloudy. Also, If I’m not mistaken, I seem to recall that the base has to be perfectly level for it to work. I may be wrong about that.

In the early days of having my pond, I saw this and wanted to have one (my post about it are probably still here, somewhere)! After I listened to comments and feedback from other ponders, I decided it was a gimmick that was going to be more trouble than it was worth.

BUT! We’re not saying don’t do it . There is no reason you couldn’t try it for yourself! A lot of what we learn in this hobby has to do with trial and error.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you so much to everyone who offered a warm welcome and your valuable suggestions.
Hello and welcome!

I have to agree with what the others have said. Algae! Plus, the water inside the “dome” is likely to be warmer which could be harmful to the fish. And speaking of cleaning algae, whatever container you used should be made of some sort of plastic (just IMHO — I would be afraid of having anything glass that could break), and many scrubbers will cause microscopic scratches on the material. Not only will that make algae even harder to get rid of, but over time the surface of the become cloudy. Also, If I’m not mistaken, I seem to recall that the base has to be perfectly level for it to work. I may be wrong about that.

In the early days of having my pond, I saw this and wanted to have one (my post about it are probably still here, somewhere)! After I listened to comments and feedback from other ponders, I decided it was a gimmick that was going to be more trouble than it was worth.

BUT! We’re not saying don’t do it . There is no reason you couldn’t try it for yourself! A lot of what we learn in this hobby has to do with trial and error.
Thank you TurtleMommy. I have now dropped the idea of having a viewing tower.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum! Nice pond,get some plants in it, keep the number of fish low, fan tails would do fine in a pond like that. I have them in my 300 gallon hot tub pond.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to our forum! Nice pond,get some plants in it, keep the number of fish low, fan tails would do fine in a pond like that. I have them in my 300 gallon hot tub pond.
Thank you Addy1. I shall add some plants and keep the numbers low. I need to do the electrics first before buying fish. Any recommendations for pump filter system suitable for these kind of pond ? I want to keep the filter outside the pond and I need something easy to maintain. thanks.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I want to keep the filter outside the pond and I need something easy to maintain. thanks.
Make a mini bog, I have one for my hot tub pond. Keeps the water clear. And a whole bunch of plants!

Ask a Question