addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If I am lucky jw, the prevailing winds blow the leaves into the back field. If we have a storm from the south/east then the pond gets smacked, but most storms come from the south west or west. Love the look of the tree, very nice shaped, this time so pretty as the leaves change.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Is it a Sugar Maple? I've heard mention of them on here being nice and colorful like that.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks Mitch

JW no clue, it was planted long before we got here.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sugar maples can be red ,yellow, orange and rust color .A combo or sometimes just 1 color .I looked at his bill but he did not write on it what the oil was but he did show me it in the bottle and it is not cheap .I found back when he did it that you could get it at southern states here back then .But he got his concentrate from a supplier .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would have 100's of yards of poison ivy to get rid of, we have so much. It edges all the back fields and woods. I have managed to keep it away from the house gardens, so far.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Addy, I don't live anywhere near woods, closest trees besides the 10 or so on my 6 acres are minimum 1/2 mile away, and that's just a stand of trees between 2 fields. Anyhow, I've had poison ivy being extremely bullheaded about not dying (LOL) in one of my windowwells and it also got out and was growing on a cedar tree that died on the corner of my house. I had to dig that tree out to plant the new evergreens, and was careful not to mess with that ivy too much, and only with gloves on. I am not extremely allergic to it, though, so was not a big deal. I can't imagine being as allergic as you are, and having all those flowers and plants! I sure hope some doesn't get started somewhere in your flower gardens, but I suspect your hubby would be called to man the "kill zone" quickly before it took over. :blueflower:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Any plant with 3 leaves I totally leave alone, honey comes and pulls it for me. I sometimes with spray with round up for poison ivy then he will pull the dead plant for me. I have gotten pretty good at spotting it.
Being allergic to flowers totally shocked me. I have never had allergies, have always reacted to poison ivy though. Nothing has ever bothered me, but they say you can start getting them after exposure.

When we were small, my older sister and I rolled down a hill while dad was working on helping build the public pool. Well needless to say, the hill was covered with poison ivy. I had it from the top of my head to my feet, in hair, lips eyes ear, arms legs between fingers toes every bare inch of body exposed. I remember sitting in a bathtub full of oatmeal and being totally miserable. That may have helped start my lifetime reaction to the stuff.

I was grooming plants this weekend, long sleeves, heavy leather gloves, any plant with the small hairs got cut let it drop where it was, picked up with a pitchfork to be loaded into my tractor and dumped down our cliff, a nice dead fall for critters. We nicely have a 10-15 foot cliff right at the edge of our woods (all our land) where I put all the cuttings. They just go away over time, great mulch pile eventually lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Addy, often they say that once you have had a severe allergic reaction to something, you will become immune to that plant. Guess that is not so after all, though.
I have an area where I put all the dead plant matter, etc., just over the fence in the back horse pasture. I see birds rummaging through it, not sure if they eat anything. And, then I have another area in that same pasture where I toss all the branches that fall into the yard. I KNOW the birds hide in there during all times of the year.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pile is huge when I trim, usually 10 feet tall, multiple times, then I push it down the hill. Between the branches, ornamental grasses etc it is buckets of stuff that get disposed of. The squirrels, birds etc seem to love it.
Also any missed praying mantis egg casings don't get hurt that way. ( I look at every branch to make sure I am not tossing any.)

This is little missy the stink bug killer, she was having a grand time playing with it.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
j.w said:
addy the video says it's private when you click on it.
try again, i uploaded it private by accident had to update it, must take some system time or something lol

Ask a Question